Agnostic.com

6 4

Random thoughts inspired by coffee and news consumption...

Why don't we round up all the white supremacists and blatantly racist twats in the US and put them on a boat, sail them to the African continent and drop their asses in a place where they can experience first hand what it is like to be a minority for a while. Could go a long way towards removing a significant amount of hate from our society.

Amzungu 8 June 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think we should create a Zoo for bronze era thinkers.

Not possible

bobwjr Level 10 June 13, 2020

I know...

I have a feeling you're going to receive the same kind of reception my post did that was trying to remind the police supporters that they were getting the same treatment as black Americans. It is so hard to say the right thing anymore.

You're right. I think part of the problem is that the 'right thing to say' too often doesn't fit neatly into any of the designated boxes we have created to define the things in our lives. God forbid we be willing to work with a venn diagram. 😉

This is naive and hateful, and puts you on their level. WTF?

Why not try to educate them as to how they have been played, brainwashed, to hate people with common interests? Or try to get them to understand that we are all one. Race is a political construct.

Is it really? It's not like I suggested we sell them into slavery, all I said is it would benefit them to experience what it is like to be a minority. I don't exactly see many white supremacist and blatantly hateful racist people willingly signing up for that class. Each lesson you mentioned is most effectively learned through immersion. I have seen many people change their mindsets, but I have only seen it happen when people are willing to go outside their comfort zone and better get to know those who they see as so fearfully different. I have seen it with racism and homophobia. But if you are not willing to take that step outside of your comfort zone, you will likely never get to see that the differences aren't really differences at all. SO, yes, in my fantasy land of a mind, I wish there was a way to push them outside of their comfort zone of racist hate and force immersion so that they have a chance to see things differently.

That's merely a dream...

I know. But not just a dream, a fantasy.

but it's a good one.

I thought about a big ship headed to Antarctica with almost enough fuel to get there.

I would totally vote for that. I was trying to be 'fair' and give them an opportunity to waken their dead hearts and rejoin the human race, but realize the chance of that is slim to none. We should go with yours. 😉

@Amzungu I would really like for those folks to be gone. I just hate to put them in somebody else's yard.

@hankster Agreed, it would not be a very kind thing to do to Africa. I do very much think all white people would benefit from the experience of being the minority. I spent quite a lot of time in Kenya in places where white people hadn't been previously seen. When you watch babies scream in terror at the sight of you, and children fear you and run at the sight of you, simply because your skin and your hair are so different from what they have been exposed to before, you come to understand things a bit differently. When you are able to overcome those fears and build relationships, you really start to understand, and both sides win in the end.

@Amzungu that would be different. I've never really done anything like that. I would have to think it makes someone very self-conscious.

@hankster That, it does. A little self awareness can be a necessary thing. I also learned that it only takes one brave soul to bridge that fear. The little girl in the red checkered dress in the photo below was my bridge. She was cautious, but not afraid. She held my face in her hands two inches from hers and thoroughly inspected me. Ran her fingers through my snake like hair, touched my hairy bare skin. If I tried to back away, her little hands brought me closer still. This went on for a solid half hour and by that time all the children in the village had decided to face their fear, too. Now, when I visit the village, the children run to me instead of away. 🙂

@Amzungu that is really super cool!

@hankster It truly was. It's one of my most cherished moments.

@Amzungu kids like that go a long way toward making what is beautiful about living. 🤗

@hankster I completely agree!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:505688
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.