Agnostic.com

16 9

Message from a 20-year-old. Scammer?

Why on Earth did a 20-year-old guy write to me? I'm 66. He lives in Minnesota and I'm in Washington State. He wrote:

"Hello, My name is Michael. It's really nice to meet you. If you don't mind I would love to get to know you better.

"I know I might get ignored but it's ok. Just want to let you know you are a wonderful person. Have a lovely day."

Another question:

Why do people write, "It's nice to meet you" in a first message? "To meet" means to come into the presence of, or encounter someone in person.

A scammer? His username sounds Nigerian: Onlytairu. His photos show a black young man.

I reported him to Agnostic.com:

"This person appears to be a scammer. Please investigate."

UPDATE

His profile is GONE.

Agnostic.com must have investigated and found him to be a scammer.

brushes off hands

LiterateHiker 9 June 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hahahaha! This is what I replied to someone that messaged me... and all of a sudden... "poof!" Gone...

Well hey there "Ken". My, aren't you just the catch of the day.... For starters, don't call me "dear", and believe me when I say I'm sorry for your message too. You, whoever the hell you are, can feck off back to Nigeria. If you're gonna choose a profile pic that's not you, at least have the intelligence to find one that's not ALL over the internet. Check out Steve'sprofile - just by the way.[mystalk.net] - oh, and I just LOVE those dating sites... and that's only page one....You're a busy, busy little boy aren't you.... πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ€£

XSChic Level 4 June 14, 2020

@XSChic

Love your brilliant, funny reply. Thanks for the laugh!

Did I see a hiking boots impression on his forehead as the door swung shut?

And another one bites the dust! πŸ˜‹

How do these winners always find you?

@Sgt_Spanky

Beats me.

In the immortal words of Pooh, "Oh, bother."

Scammer

bobwjr Level 10 June 13, 2020

At Least he was very polite and asking instead of being presumptuous

Yup, scammer!

He could be a cub seeking a cougar. If so he might see older women as a potential meal ticket.

MizJ Level 8 June 13, 2020

It may not be a 20-year-old, a male, or even someone in the US. I get scammer messages all the time. They follow a pattern. The generalized statements are much like the ones you gave us above.

I sometimes interact with them because I have nothing else to do.

Perhaps worse than a scammer, a naive, dumb boy.

Pass.....

He wants you to buy his beer.

Sounds like a Nigerian syndicate doing the rounds on here. I spotted a few and told someone. Another one is doing the rounds but let me tell you - they attract an audience!!!! with all similar stories. They're always beaten, boyfriend abused then, family taken advantage of them, just been widowed, all similar patterns. One person probably has 4 different profiles. Pretty little on their profiles. They usually live in Canada and small towns in USA, but they're from Nigeria!

I had one that claimed to be from a small town (about 250), My cousin lived in that town and I had been there, you could tell that "she" had learned about the place from google, it was fun leading her on for a few days before she decided to go dark.

I guess it's possible he likes you as a friend (I mean, you're interesting after all), but not saying why he wants to know you better clinches it. I lean to spammer.

Lauren Level 8 June 13, 2020

A scammer or he's got serious mother issues. Either way...πŸ˜…

Scammer! 99 44/100% sure

That's ivory soap! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

@Cutiebeauty you’re too young to remember that

@BudFrank i have very old vcr tapes of television show with commercials πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

@SlippingBeauty not as frequently as i use to but i still got them...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:505766
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.