Agnostic.com

19 4

Has the fear of emotional pain prevented anyone from cultivating relationships?

Is it better to have loved & lost or to play it safe?

atheist 8 Apr 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes to a degree

ok just for you

Oh Hell Yes! Not sure about the second part.

Relationships have cost me so much, I am too old to risk again. I am autistic, my emotional pain is within limits.

You have to go for love when you have the chance.

Not prevented, but certainly daunted at points.

I always love and lose, it’s what I do

I now am playing it safe.. My heart and emotions are well guarded... I made him my world, which that in itself was a mistake. I don't think I could once again go through that kind of devastation. It's going to take a very special and patient kind of person to penetrate the hard exterior that I've built up around me. One day perhaps, someone will have the ability to see thru that wall and recognize the diamond standing before them.

This question is very topical for me right now, as my husband and I have separated just this past weekend. I find myself already thinking that I just don't ever want to expose myself to this level of pain again. I haven't even fully grieved the death of this marriage and I'm already mentally avoiding relationships that aren't even potentialites yet.

Be safe while you grieve.
But I found the grieving passes,
and while the memory of pain may make you flinch,
don't let it stop you.

It did for me. I spent a very long time avoiding intimate relationships for fear of getting hurt, thinking I was safe. But I lost a whole lot more by living like that. Now I would be more than happy to risk getting my heart broken, because it meant I took a risk to love deeply.

As i get older and older, I find all my previous emotional pain has fertilized my mind well. I can now cultivate faster than the average cultivator. I have enough shit to cultivate me for ever.

EMC2 Level 8 Apr 5, 2018

there is always a time to show your brass balls.

There is always that risk of getting emotional hurt again.. but if you don't take the chance, you will never know and that can be even more devestating.

@atheist yup, I feel the same way.. the last one I was in for sure could have done without but I learned somethings from that entire experience and what NOT to let into my life ever again.

@atheist probably not, that's why they call it a learning experience.. something you will remember and hopefully not have a repeat performance.

I have never played it safe. My friends and family thought I was nuts to fly out west to meet a stranger from this site. It didn't work out, but that's ok. Talking to new people here. May be doing it again someday.

Is it fear of emotional pain or fear of drama?
I don't do drama.
I'm a no drama momma?
IMO, drama can be CREATED by choices one makes outside of accidents.
Created drama, can be avoided based on WHO one choses to have in their life.
If they CHOOSE a black swirling vortex of chaos, they should expect a life as such. (Drama addicts)

Emme Level 7 Apr 5, 2018

Since I was very young--and throughout my life--people have taught me they are hot stoves. I learned very early not to touch.

Probably most people, but some simply pester and pester until they finally succeed. Having succeeded they seem to lose interest, since there is no longer a challenge.

Or pester & pester until they get ghosted.?

Absolutely. Twice have I found myself essentially abandoned in this way, and after the second I stop caring to try. I can't say this better to not have at all, the experience has it's positive aspects, but given the impermanence of it all, I don't see reason to keep subjecting myself to the trials. It's a lot of work to put in to just have it all taken away at some point later.

Oh, ys. People who have experienced deeply hurtful relatuionships do make one leery. And some people simply feel so insecure that they do not want to take risks. They are so afraid of the possibility of emotional pain that they cheat the heart out of their own lives.

Has it prevented anyone in general? Yes, of course.

Speaking for myself however: yes, it definitely has/does.

JimG Level 8 Apr 5, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:50585
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.