Agnostic.com

12 3

Got a better one?

Marx' "Religion is the opiate of the masses" to me, sums it all up. Anyone got a better one?

lerlo 8 Apr 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

And now opiates are the opiates of the masses. 🙂

"Where the preamble declares, that coercion is a departure from the plan of the holy author of our religion, an amendment was proposed by inserting "Jesus Christ," so that it would read "A departure from the plan of Jesus Christ, the holy author of our religion;" the insertion was rejected by the great majority, in proof that they meant to comprehend, within the mantle of its protection, the Jew and the Gentile, the Christian and Mohammedan, the Hindoo and Infidel of every denomination."

-Thomas Jefferson

Yes, pick up any actual book that pertains to the theory of political policy. You may actually find true statements. I found an error in the word "opiate". This is not a correct abstraction.

my mistake, he called religion the opium of the people...

Religion is well-meaning philosophy tied to a lie, claiming to come from a hidden power in order to scare people into following it. Any mistakes made by the philosopher then get set in stone and weak-minded people are then forced to make the same mistakes over and over again for the rest of time.

I've always like the saying, but it isn't accurate. Religion isn't a drug as a drug is a foreign substance that affects the body while religion lacks substance.

Or since opium clouds the mind and so does religion...it is accurate

@lerlo You may perceive it as accurate as I once did. A lot of things like love and nationalism cloud the mind.

@mt49er but at least love and nationalism have a basis in fact

@lerlo If you have love based on facts, you're likely also stalking. Nations have just as many problems as religions as they also will tell you to ignore facts to side with their opinion or the opinion of jurors or the most popular opinion among the population, and in some cases the opinion of their religion.

@mt49er Guess we go at love differently. If I love someone I can give you facts as to why. Being devoted to a nation doesnt mean you have to agree with everything it does. Blind faith like blindly following anything is stupid

Religion is controlling the masses.

Genuine spiritualism is like the clean bowl after flushing religion down. So fresh and not full of shit.

EMC2 Level 8 Apr 5, 2018

This book has been rated XXX..for depictions of Genocide, Incest, Murder and Mayhem..

My new favorite is "DON'T BE AN ATH-HOLE"

“When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called a Religion.” Robert Pirsig

JimG Level 8 Apr 5, 2018

I really like this one.

"Religion is like cancer, a hidden slow killer" - me

Religion is the grand deluder and user of people.

Thank you for deciding that for the world and sharing this. I am sure you are playing nice and embracing our similarities. I toast you and wish you the grandest life full of happiness. I would never want to harm or cause you unhappiness.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:50632
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.