Agnostic.com

8 1

I figure this entire site is a bunch of egos butting heads.....havent seem one person admit they were wrong on anything lol

Rich177 5 June 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Stick around, @Ruch177, you'll see a lot. And while we're on the subject, have you ever admitted you were wrong on anything?

Yep, I'm sure someone on the site did, I just haven't seen it lol

In this space, I've been taken to task a few times, have reexamined my assumptions, and altered my thinking. Such is possible to those with open minds and open hearts, and the willingness to dig deeper into the bedrock of their core epistemology. It's a shame you haven't seen one person admit they were wrong here ... I see it pretty regularly, including me. What do you see when looking into the mirror?

I haven't really looked to be honest. If you find a quote where someone admits they were wrong, point me out to it. I just recently learned about the ego. You're an intelligent guy, I have to run to the dictionary with your vocabulary. I find it funny and amusing to be honest, the ego.

What is epistemology, autocorrect had to spell it out for me. Dictionary said.....theory of knowledge?

@Rich177 The ego is a complicated thing ... we need it, yet it can dominate us in ways we may never have envisioned. Thank you for your compliment, but it seems to me that we're all intelligent guys and gals here, looking for comradery, validation and new perspectives. If any of us appear egotistical in our opinions, I hope you will join in 'calling us out!' Peace.

I’m wrong all the time. Though I do have an element of: “I might be wrong, but I’m never mistaken”. 😂
I’m stubborn, lol, but I can see other points of view. Usually.

I (sort of) backed off my assertion there's no such thing as an 'agnostic atheist'.' Still not 100% convinced but I've (kind of) come around to where I can see that point of view

Yes they have! And some people that just like to argue are just childish.

@powder Being a devil's advocate is great- iron sharpens iron as the old idiom puts it. But that's different from never admitting one is wrong.

It does happen, but I suppose those who post tend to have very strong views and thus it's hard to get nuance in the discussion that ensues. And people get easily defensive. I've noticed it especially when some offer arguments against theism that are not very intellectually or historically robust. I'm someone who's drifted away from faith, and I take the view that poor arguments against theism need to be challenged.
Anyway, @Rich177, I hope you find some stimulating discussion on the site.

You've noticed........hmm. That's strange in itself. "Historically robust"? That's two words that don't go together. And if you want to debate intellectually as you say, we have a physicist here. Don't go away.

So, you want to talk about chromosome reproduction error percentages as they relate to the splitting of genes or the degradation of telomeres and centromeres?
God is bullshit. End of story.

@PondartIncbendog Much as what you propose sounds fascinating, I had in mind arguments that are replete with non sequitors or that beg the question.
I am no longer a man of faith, so I don't need to be convinced. I'm just against poor arguments.

@Doubting So you want to select the debate? And then impose rules for it? Talk science or nothing.

@PondartIncbendog My my, aren't you combative? I"m happy to discuss subjects where I have something to contribute. i'm not a trained scientist, though my first career was in medical radiography. My area of expertise is in 1-4 C CE Greek grammar and verbal aspect.
If you wish to talk only science, then you will need someone else as your conversation partner.

@MissKathleen No what?

@MissKathleen I didn't ask you.

When I find that I am wrong, I change my mind. That's the goal, isn't it?

Not really. Most people's goal is to be right lol

@Rich177 That's wrong!

Are we playing soccer?

@Rich177 And you are/were never wrong?

@PondartIncbendog I'm wrong all the time, unfortunately. Lol

@Rich177 I have an ex(the one I call Satan, lol) whose goal was to WIN. It didn’t matter whether he was right or not, as long as he argued his opponent(often me) into submission. I left once I realized I was in a war instead of a relationship. 🙄

@CarolinaGirl60 watch Eckhart Tolle on YouTube, he discusses about the ego in some of his videos.

Look further. Some of us, myself included, do. No one is perfect and we all make mistakes, even spelling ones.

Yes you are!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:506334
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.