Agnostic.com

32 7

What are some of the things professing christians have done to irritate you and why did you find it irritating?

I have had some irritating experiences but the one that stands out was when a distant relative came to visit my family and switched off the music I was listening to (I had headphones) and yelled at me saying that I was going to go to hell for listening to secular music.
Why was I irritated? What happened to respecting each other's personal boundaries irrespective of their religion or lack of beliefs??

GladToBeFree 5 Apr 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

32 comments (26 - 32)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

First, I'd be really irritated if someone just trundled up and turned off music I was listening to. That is just all the way through rude and out the other side. It's a line you don't cross, no matter who you are.

As to believers, oh man, where do I start? ?

This was after I'd been graduated from college and was still attending church with my family but no longer had faith. One Sunday there was a church gathering (a picnic or coffee klatch or something), and I said 'hi' to one of the parishioners who remembered me as having been an altar boy for several years of my youth. "I always thought you'd have become a priest," she said. And then suddenly she literally turned her back on me and started talking with someone else. This woman knew nothing about me other than I'd served on the altar for about 10 years; she didn't ask me what I'd studied in college; she didn't inquire about my job; she didn't make any effort to learn about what my interests were. All she cared about was that I, someone she knew nothing about, hadn't pursued the life she wanted me to choose. And that clearly offended her on some level, allowing her to rudely dismiss me because to her I no longer mattered — I no longer fit her expectations. I don't even remember now who the woman was, and I didn't care about her specifically or what she thought, but I remember thinking that this is the sort of mentality I was purging from my life by eschewing religion.

When I was younger they would often ask what tragedy happened in my life to make me turn away from god.

You got to have faith

Rob off of the poor fucking scumbags

I get a 2 for..when christians find out I had cancer they say "Oh god bless you" then " My prayers worked, thank god" when I tell them I'm a survivor...aaarg!

Oh really ?

Anas Level 1 Apr 5, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:50662
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.