Agnostic.com

3 4

On 60 Minutes tonight the sales tactics of the Drug companies pushing opioids were outlined. They included bribery, pushing doctors to use off=label prescriptions, expensive trips, huge pay for making speeches on the values of using the opioids. among other illegal tactics.

As bad as that is, it is not unusual. I know for a fact that almost all pharmaceutical companies have been using such tactics for well over 30 year to push excessive prescribing of drugs of all sorts. I have attended a couple of the speaking engagements by bribed doctors. In one, having drinks with the doctor afterward, he bragged about the practices, and how much money he was making on behalf of the drug company. I also worked a while for a market research company , conducting interviews of doctors who freely admitted being recipients of such bribery trips, consulting "fees", etc.

Most pharmaceutical companies and up to 10 percent of doctors are and have been complicit.

wordywalt 9 June 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Have you ever seen what pharmaceutical sales reps look like? It's not a coincidence, they put the beautiful people on the street.

barjoe Level 9 June 22, 2020

I had a doc to or who must have been doing this with Lantus insulin. I couldn’t pay $400 a month and still live on what was left. He kept refusing to change, until a lady at my pharmacy told me about the Novolin 70/30 at Walmart for $24.88. No RX required. I switched to it, and while it’s 2 injections a day, who cares?

I had a similar experience. I was on a $400+ a month form of insulin until I researched prices and found Novalin 70/30 at Walmart for around #25 a month without prescription. I asked my doctor about it ( he was not the doctor who had given me the more expensive prescription originally(, and he agreed to let me try it. Have been on the Novilin ever since.

Big pharma does not want cures, it wants customers.

Customers, ergo profits above all.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:508320
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.