Agnostic.com

10 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Years ago, you may be able to Google it, the L.A. Weekly, did an expose on Seera, he was not a great man to the native Gabrillino tribes.

sure he did after the catholic church stole all their land and created forced conversions of the native people

First anything coming from "California Catholic Conference of Bishops" should be seriously suspect. Secondly, this was a long string of missions and 1 person could not possibly have been able to manage all of them. Going through the missions one can easily see how the indigenous lived and were treated and with respect is not a term I would use.

And they also said none of their priests were pedophiles. Ccan you imagine what they got away with back then?

Seriously, religions seem to harbor and perpetuate more evil than it claims to cast out and diminish.

I looked up some differing histories, so this is what I think. He started nine missions in Southern California and, it is extremely likely that he enslaved some Natives - a lot were put in shackles.
He sounds like a religious dick, willing to hurt people.

Right, they freed the Natives to practice their Native beliefs. - sartorial. They force fed b.s and helped keep the Natives in the minority and well behaved catholics.

So much misinformation it is astounding. Who to believe.

Who to believe? Certainly not those who are white and in power, wanting to keep power at all costs.

Right! And the vatican did not support the nazis!

They literally just had a Nazi pope - the guy who retired was a youth in the Brown Shirts. They weren't boy scouts.

@Beowulfsfriend you don't say!

Being Jewish I am well aware of the 1700 years of catholic and christian love toward us Jews. The nazis were the culmination of that love and keep in mind Germany was over 90% christian. We Jews might have the longest history of being on the wrong side of christian love

The mission system was a powerful tool in the quest for expansion and conquest. Regardless of intent, they worked hand in hand exploiting and abusing the indigenous people.

"Better" in this context is nothing but a weasel word. There's a reason that "equal" treatment was not the goal.

they place bounties on natives heads..and thousands were brought in by the good citezens..and paid $$ for men woman and children.

Christianity and islam are religions of lies. I grew up a catholic, what they taught in catholic schools back then was racist, at least where I went to school.

Yeah even against their own kind. I was in a Catholic school across the street from a public school. "They' were definitely regarded as inferior even tho the school was white. protestants, ya know.

In the town I grew up in, the vast majority were catholics, probably 90% or more.

@Theresa_N Sorry about that.

Now probably half are right wing evangelicals, no improvement.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:508776
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.