Agnostic.com

3 2

LINK The Clintons Had Slaves | Current Affairs

Contrary to popular understanding, the Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution did not prohibit slavery. The text makes it clear:

Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

HippieChick58 9 June 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Not surprising that they would use prison labor, they're Rethuglican lite after all..

"Clinton"???? As in, his great-grandfather? WTF........

So--this is a ''long-time'' custom. Why do we make it sound like a CLINTON invention? Is anyone in this country who came into contact with the prison system innocent? Instead of focusing on the past (in a decidedly political way)...why don't we fix the system and move on? Could these men have refused the job? If so...it's hardly ''slavery,'' is it?

It is slavery in that they are not paid, and they did not have a choice about working there. It is not a Clinton invention, but the Clintons did not try to stop it and in fact benefitted from it.

@HippieChick58 Convict labor was used for decades in the south. I remember seeing them on road-gangs when I was a child. It's what was done. No--the Clintons may not have tried to stop it but neither did many other Governors, etc. My point was...why call them out? Why not George Wallace, for example?

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:509274
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.