Agnostic.com

5 2

LINK Almost all U.S. presidents have been Christians, including Trump | Pew Research Center

1. This survey is from 2017. It would be interesting to see how the numbers below may have shifted over the last 3 yrs.
    "A recent survey by the Pew Research Center shows that many Americans care about their leaders’ faith. For instance, half of all American adults say it’s important for a president to share their religious beliefs. And more people now say there is “too little” religious discussion by their political leaders (40%) than say there is “too much” (27%)."

2. Fun fact I did not know: Bush, Obama, and Trump all had megachurch pastors as their 'spiritual leaders' while in the White House. What in the actual fuck?

Blessed be the fruit...

Amzungu 8 June 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

All one reason I never dove deeper into politics. We Atheists have been relegated to the trenches, the last minority..

Varn Level 8 June 26, 2020

and this is a good thing?

I have no idea what about this post makes you think I see this as a good thing, but, just to be clear, no it is not. It is, however, unfortunately factual.

@Amzungu

@LenHazell53 Haha, gotcha. I thought for sure the "what in the actual fuck" part made my end pretty clear.

Religion does seem to permeate politics in the US.
I have seen Bush and Regan and Jimmy Carter talk about embracing people of ALL faiths. Obama was the first US president I heard using the term non believer in a positive way. So a glimmer of hope there

Obama was, across the board, more inclusive than our current administration as well as most that came before him. The last three years have brought us increasingly closer to adopting a Christian fundamentalist based rule of law, and the only ones that seem upset about the obvious impingement on separation of church and state are the minority Agnostic/Atheists. It's quite disturbing.

What chance does an openly secular humanist or nonbeliever have toward attaining the highest office in the land? ZERO!

unless of course they are a liar, which now seems a perfectly acceptable state of affairs for the cheeto in chief

@LenHazell53 Indeed! In this administration's race to the bottom, there seems to be no depth to which they will not sink.

Indeed! My avatar was among the 'movers and shakers' of philosophy during the late 18th century.

@p-nullifidian He is one of my favorite historical figures. I have the same family name, and though I am not aware of any lineage connection, I claim him based on my love of his philosophy. 😉

@Amzungu Few of us recognize the contribution of Thomas Paine, a man who many wished to be erased from history. I rediscovered him through the writings of Robert Green Ingersoll, that great agnostic of the 19th century. One of Ingersoll's speeches on Thomas Paine is read by Michael Earle on his website, Reasonworks. I commend it to you. Peace.
[reasonworks.com]

@p-nullifidian I will listen to it.

"erased from history" -- but for the mark on the WRONG side of his Bastille prison door he would have been (erased). 😮

@FearlessFly A great story, that few have learned! Through a fate of timing, due in part to Thomas Paine's fever, his door was left open and the chalk mark was later covered when the door was shut! Bravo!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:509444
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.