Agnostic.com

10 16

Today's hike: mountain bikers damaged a trail, making it dangerous.

In this photo, I love the tension between the Tiger Lily stem and the Sweet Pea tendril. A metaphor for nature.

Today Karen and I hiked four miles above Squilchuck State Park. At 98 degrees in the valley, in the mountains it was 76 degrees in the shade. At times, we felt waves of hot air rising up through the woods.

In two high meadows, Tiger Lilies were glorious.

To our dismay, we discovered rouge mountain bikers had damaged the Dark Woods trail, making it more dangerous and narrow. They chopped off the edge of the trail on the drop-off side, and piled sharp logs and branches beside the trail. If a bicyclist falls, they will get hurt.

Arriving home, I emailed the WA State Parks communications director and reported the trail damage. Asked him/her to contact Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance that built the trails.

I hope Evergreen can tell mountain bikers to leave trails alone. If they want a more "gnarly" trail, go someplace else.

Don't make trails dangerous for other people.

LiterateHiker 9 June 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Our county parks are suffering from decades of republicon government. Even though state law forbids it, they allowed trail bikes to create ruts, damage tree roots, and erode trails by resulting rain water flows. All in exchange for donations from the owner of a bicycle shop.

Democrats took over last fall, but it's hard to push back the pestilence when it's been permitted for so long.

Seems theres assholes everywhere that have to screw with stuff

redhog Level 7 June 26, 2020

Sad that some people have to ruin it for everyone else. Beautiful flower.

@xenoview

True. Thank you.

Great picture! I know it’s frustrating about the trails

@BudFrank

Thanks for your compliment. I love the photo, too.

With a rock, thin long sticks, tape and string . . . look around a trail for a place where if a stick swung down it would enter into the spokes of a bike wheel. And then think about the challenge for a few minutes, you'll discover that a solution isn't hard.

gorgeous pick of the Tiger Lily , yes you find those assholes on all the trails ,no thoughts for others using it

RoyMillar

Thank you. I love this photo, too.

It reminds me of my go to place Only it's 'protected'.

Grrr! I’ve seen this type of thing all too often, especially on trails nearer to urban centers. Hardest hit are trails with switchbacks, the corners of which quickly degrade, only to wash out during the rainy season. Ironically, this makes them unusable by the bikers themselves ...

Thoughtless idiots

bobwjr Level 10 June 26, 2020

You can probably expect more mountain bike activity on your favorite trails. These new hi-tech electric mountain bikes are basically just light weight dirt bikes.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:509726
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.