Agnostic.com

4 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Interesting read. The women interviewed for this story puzzle the shit outta. My twin the same way. They all seem to think many of his policies are good but they can't say why or exactly what they are.
It is nice too see many are seeing the reality of don the con and have decided not to vote for him.

His new jobs level is somewhere down around the bottom of the Marianas Trench. Was there something else he was going to do for working-class white women ?

TO_BY Level 7 June 26, 2020

Grab 'em by the pussy? Oh, wait, that was rich men's trophy wives........nevermind.......

About time

bobwjr Level 10 June 26, 2020

I hate that “working class” label! What does it mean anyway? Do we really have to divide up into classes?

Just about everybody does some kind of work, even me.

One group of people have to sell their skills in order to earn their living. Another group of people exploit the work of the first group, in order to make their living. Finally, A there is third group of people who tend to own the workplace, means of organization, and receive the monetary profit while paying the other two groups some percentage of that gross. These are classes. Working Class, Middle Class, and Big Capital. These aren't random labels - they define social strata based on economic status, and are easily seen in the workplace today.

@TO_BY well written!

It means women like me who once upon a time worked cotton mills, sewing factories, and at one time simultaneously 3 "women's jobs" jobs, None of which had any benefits whatsoever, and was Thrilled to get a "man's job" building nuclear submarines, with BENEFITS, including retirement,sick leave, holidays, and medical insurance so I could support, with my labor, me & my child. Hard work, getting dirty, breathing fumes, scars, even. It must be lovely to have lived a life of male white privilege.....

@TO_BY I totally disagree. We all contribute to society, just in different ways. Each person’s contribution depends mainly on aptitude tradition and choice. In many cases business owners work as hard or harder than any of the employees.

I am particularly offended by the “working class” label because it is generally used to stereotype, demean and slur people who work for wages. Affecting and air of pity or fake solidarity springs from a sense of superiority and elitism. If a person truly respected his fellow citizens he would not describe them in pejorative terms based on their occupations.

@TO_BY, @AnneWimsey I’ve known various people who worked in a local cotton mill and shirt factory, and many who worked at farm labor, such as picking cotton. I remember those people with love and respect and I would not dream of describing them as “working class”. We are all just people and there is no need to divide up into classes.

Building submarines must have been a rewarding and exciting experience. I’m not sure if you are putting a positive or negative spin on that experience, and I don’t understand your reference to white male privilege. Hard dangerous work is normally done by men of all races. Are you saying that I personally have been privileged? We are all blessed in different ways. Every person alive is the culmination of a long line of survivors.

I was extremely pleased and fulfilled in my career choice. I could describe my career in dire negative terms if I wanted to: but the truth is that I was doing what I liked doing—it was my choice.

Per the article: white women of the working class — which pollsters typically define as people without a college degree. So working class means no college degree, which means less education. Amount of education is the key.

@HippieChick58 OK, but I still don’t like that definition. It grates on me.

Bill Gates dropped out of college. Is he “working class”?

@WilliamFleming He went to college, he just didn't hang around for the degree. And he was able to use his talents to become a multimillionaire. Bill is definitely the exception to the rules. Working class would be more of the Target cashiers, cafeteria workers, carpenters, etc. College often changes your perspective if not your ability to earn a higher income. It just is. And to forestall a potential argument, not everyone is cut out for college. Two of my daughters have college degrees, #3 dropped out of college and is now a carpenter.

@HippieChick58 I have the utmost respect for carpenters. At one time I wanted to be a carpenter but I just didn’t have the strength and stamina for such a physical job. It irks me to see carpenters referred to as “working class”. Carpentry requires a high level of intelligence. So does machine work, mechanical work and many other trades.

Lots of people get their four year degrees and get some low level job such as writing elitist articles for newspapers. I’ll pick carpentry any day. Actually I’d rather be a professional cotton picker than do what most college graduates do.

@WilliamFleming I am very impressed with my former creampuff of a daughter that she is doing quite well as a carpenter. Her husband just became a journeyman, she is working towards that title. My oldest daughter has a degree in Microbiology, and now she works as a programmer. The degree shows you have the intelligence and determination to stick with a program to get the degree. 2nd daughter has a degree in history and works in data management. It is not uncommon. Their dad had a degree in zoology, joined the Army, worked in MI and after the Army was a programmer.

@WilliamFleming I am a damned proud member of the "working class" (and union member!) because I realize those pants aren't going to hem themselves, nor nuclear subs assemble themselves, without me & my fellow working class people.
Pretty soon we are all about to find out how lower-class people make life better/possible, as apples are going to be $3 apiece, or more

@HippieChick58 , Women of our age remember well when the trades were off limits to us. They were 'mens' jobs 😟

@freeofgod Oh for sure!! I am thrilled now when I see women doing what were once "men's" jobs. Our generation paved the way for that.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:509729
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.