Agnostic.com

4 2

LINK Mississippi state flag: Lawmakers take major step to change it

Does anyone doubt that replacing the racist Confederate stars and bars with "In God We Trust" was deemed a fair trade by the white supremacists of Mississippi?

It never fails to boggle my mind how people who claim to be Christian manage up wrap themselves so tightly in the white robes of racism. Nor how the first amendment gets trampled on so hard in this country. I fully expect many 1A challenges to religious propaganda on their flag, could end up in the supreme court again.

prometheus 7 June 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My friend in Charleston leaped a fence to grab the rebel racist rag away from some nutcase xian 3 years ago soon after the Charleston 9 were murdered by Dylan Roof..... if I see a lynching noose I will grab it away from insane xians .....dispassionate chatter about murder genocide zionism and illegal wars in 160 countries has USA in 27 trillion dollar debt since 1982 when Jimmah Carter left us with FISCAL YEAR 1981 with less than one trillion.....how do you really feel about reality?? $$$ rapist priests 2 living popes covering up the rapes and so called Admiralty Law since 1450 .....theocracy is the PROBLEM and real Atheists can defeat it all voting WWW.HOWIEHAWKINS.US peace through Green jobs

It never fails to boggle my mind how people who claim to be liberal manage to wrap themselves so tightly in the white robes of hatred, hypocrisy and self righteousness, all based on stereotyping, negative judgments and irrational associations.

Apparently once you classify certain people, a certain flag, certain religious groups, certain political parties as “evil”, that classification is permanent and every new action must be interpreted in the context of that classification.

It must be very unpleasant to carry such a burden. It would be more rational and happier, if a classification must be made, to classify everyone as “good”, and to promote love, understanding and empathy.

So you're disputing that Christians being racist could be mind boggling? Or maybe you just inferred a bunch of stuff I never said?

@prometheus What I am saying is that if your mind is boggled it is because you want your mind to be boggled.

That Mississippi would put “In God We Trust” on their flag does not logically imply that Christians are racists. Almost everyone has some racist tendencies. The citizens of Mississippi constitute a great variety of personality types and opinions.

Can’t we just compliment them on their new flag and wish them well?

@WilliamFleming I did not mean to imply all Christians are racists. Just the particular ones who decided it was a great idea to remove a racist symbol from their flag that is surely offensive to the 13% of African Americans and replace it with a devise religious slogan that is probably just as offensive to the atheists of this country (and hopefully agnostics too). Do I know that for a fact? No, but I just have this gut feeling that the requirement it be on any replacement flag was to appease those who would otherwise object.

For sure there will be many Christians in that State who are very happy about this. Good for them. Then again a great many were apparently also happy with the now disgraced flag.

And I'm sure if pressed SCOTUS will rule in a similar way to what it did in 2019 over In God We Trust on our money however as an atheist I find it ridiculous to claim that "In God we trust" is merely ceremonial deism steeped in the history of the country, repeated so many times it has lost its impact, and doesn't hurt anyone because it doesn't compel anyone to be religious. Those sound exactly like arguments about the Confederate flag to me and FFS there is literally an amendment about this that everyone is choosing to ignore. And haven't there been multiple rulings that said religious symbols on government property should either be removed or accompanied by another other religious or non religious displays the people want? So why the heck doesn't their flag design include "In God, gods, or no gods we do our don't trust"? Beats me.

To think of an analogy - imagine if California decided to put "Were coming for your guns" on its flag. Can you imagine the stink that would cause no matter how many times folks said "yeah but it's just ceremonial anti gun propaganda, it doesn't compel anyone to do anything so what's your problem?". I can't imagine how many lawsuits the NRA would file before the flag was even woven.

So to answer your question "Can’t we just compliment them on their new flag and wish them well?" I say "Oh hell no!"

PS. No California isn't coming for anyone's legally owned guns.

@prometheus The one’s who thought up the idea for putting “In God We Trust” on the flag are probably different than the ones who supported keeping the flag as it was.

It’s not 13% Black—it’s 38%. A lot of Blacks are very religious and they no doubt had input about the matter. You might find a few exceptions, but in general sincerely held religious sentiments are antithetical to racism.

If “In God We Trust” bothers you so, just think of God as a philosophical concept, something like democracy or freedom. After all, the crude philosophies of materialism and scientism are rampant in society and have been rammed down school children’s throats for generations.

Fuck racist murderous lynching capitol MISSISSIPPI and the insane lie IN gawd WE TRUST

LOL, why don't you tell us how you really feel?

[en.wikipedia.org]

What leads you to think this conservative court will rule differently ?

50 years have passed, heck of a lot more atheists or non Christians, but yeah... Conservative court pandering to it's base instead of interpreting the Constitution as they see fit for that purpose.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:510073
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.