Agnostic.com

4 5

5% of the world's population, 25% of the world's COVID deaths.

America. So great. 😒

[cnn.com]

SeaGreenEyez 9 June 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The percent of world population is even a little bit lower. About 4.2%.

I tried to document things a couple of month ago. Sometimes it is not a matter of thinking you are going to stop injustice, but at least you can make it a bit more clear, as it's happening.

[docs.zoho.com]

As a side note, the numbers on population and (reported) deaths and (reported) cases are a little similar to the numbers relating to US petroleum use.

Anyway, these numbers are hideous. One of my working hypotheses has become that the President is actually liking this because he gets to take decisions that result in the deaths of millions, but he thinks he can hide behind playing the hero and making the tough decisions. Likewise, people who support his policies can hide behind supporting unpopular decisions that ultimately, in their claim, are the right thing that will be best for human life on Earth. Both the President and his supporters claim, falsely in my view, that they are the ones who stand for keeping an eye on business and economic issues. I don't buy any of these arguments from the President or his supporters, but those seem to me to be ones they are making.

kmaz Level 7 June 29, 2020

Yeah, I think if you're as destructive as Trump is, with as much history of leaving bankruptcies in your wake, then you have to be aware of when the exit plan is advisable, and since he's been doing this unusual-for-him gig of working a hired job for other people for nearly four years, and since instead of protecting and defending the constitution (i.e.: his assigned task) he uses it essentially for toilet paper every day, then I think he has to consider whether he really wants to sign on for four more years of that job.

My amateur psychology effort: I think he does not have that much hope for his own soul and so he distracts himself and changes the discussion to pretending to himself that he is the person trying to make the hard decisions despite the near-term reputational problems and that he is willing to be honest when it really counts in some way. We saw him blather about "the hardest decision he has ever made" or some such, when he was trying to see himself as the one to decide when the entire country would open back up. He lies to himself and others that he is trying to do what is right for the economy, though his understanding of epidemiology and related is so clearly deficient that maybe he is actually telling the truth - maybe he actually thinks he is trying to protect the economy (and all the saving of lives that go with that effort).

There is the possibility that in the long-run it will turn out that there is value to doing what Sweden is doing (letting the disease run rampant) but in the meantime, that is not settled among experts and Trump did not appear to consult anyone when he, in effect, acted (or omitted action) to help get the US in that direction.

The truly tragic aspect of this is that we had the knowledge, resources, manpower, infrastructure and money to contain this thing way back in January; yet, it seems nearly every single choice our federal leaders have made since then has resulted in compounded barriers to success.

Courtesy of trump

bobwjr Level 10 June 29, 2020

Not sure how much more greatness we can take.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:510640
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.