Agnostic.com

2 1

Free speech

Does free speech truly exist? I'm sure some of you have begun to have the "Post not reviewed" or "comment not reviewed" message come up when you try to add your opinions. The fact that this site allows you to "Report" other people for their opinion is against free speech. Those who are strong welcome discussion and a variety of opinions. Those who are weak scream and shout, demanding that others with alternative opinions have their right to speak revoked.

Why can't we all understand that we are not our opinions. We are all human. Why punish a good person for their opinion just because they don't agree with you?

There is no such thing as hate speech. I'm half Chinese and half white but I don't care about my race. If you call me a chinky, stretch your eyes or yell stupid Chinese sounding insults I couldn't give a single second of my attention to you. If you have a sign that says "All mixed breeds should die" I wouldn't stop you. Any "abuse" toward me is fine, but if you punched me then I'd knock you down on the spot. The point is, we don't need to react to everything. We need to take life easier. Don't try to change the world or change yourself too drastically. Just sit back and enjoy your life with people you love.

SO. Is free speech still alive? Or is it being hunted down and destroyed?

• 9 votes
  • 12 votes
  • 0 votes
  • 0 votes
Lancer 7 Nov 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Perhaps we have a freedom of speech for the masses. Individually, I think less.

Here's how the right to free speech works in the United States:

Freedom of speech protects your right to say any damn fool thing that comes out of your mouth. It does not protect you from being ridiculed or ostricised for saying it.

That's fine. we all accept the consequences of our actions. I was just concerned that if you try to speak that other people might attack you for your opinion and that is something I cannot abide by.

You don't comment. That's the thing. If someone said those things about me I'd just say in a calm and respectful tone "yes, you could attempt to kill me for the colour of my skin. But remember this quote well. The only ones who can kill, are those who are willing to be killed. If you fight me and you don't kill me then I will kill you. So sit back, relax and let's be civilised about this." With a smile.

However there is one black man in America who has proceeded to convert members of the KKK by showing them he is a good person. He meets with them, has coffee or tea and discusses their beliefs and opinions with them. He outlines his own beliefs, draws similarities and becomes friends with them. After a few weeks they renounce their KKK membership and as a token of gratitude the ex-KKK member gives their face covering to the black man. (I can't remember his name).

So just as a comparison. Where you and I would resort to threats. A man who has been Personally insulted and threatened. Sits down with his enemy to make him his friend. He said "if you sit down for 5 minutes and talked to your enemy you'll find you have more in common than not". So let us both take away the fact that violent insults don't stop violent insults.

That is how we stop people like that.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5110
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.