Agnostic.com

4 2

Suppose for a moment an omnipotent moral god existed. Where are the instructions from this deity? The Bible? The Koran? The Bhadavad Gita? Do any writings stand out as divinely inspired, and not just tiresome pleasantries? Where is the compassion to provide guidance? When do we see people’s hearts changed for the better?

Absence of evidence is evidence of absence. And this absence is easily some of the best evidence.

racocn8 9 June 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Years ago, divine hiddenness helped activate my skepticism. When I became a father I simply couldn't picture myself purposely remaining apart and uncommunicative with my children. Would an omnipotent moral god, worthy of the title, knowing how his children are filled with fear, uncertainty and intense longing, choose to ignore his children?

The only model of a god that appeared to make sense was the god of my avatar--the Deist's god. This supreme being made everything, the laws that govern the universe and the constituents that led to our evolution, and then retired from the picture, never to be seen or heard from. No miracles, no answers to prayer, no divine interventions, no guardian angels, no devil, no religions, no holy books or inspired texts--that was the god of Thomas Paine, who said, "My own mind is my own church."

The instructions are being written, as we speak, in the fields of evolutionary biology, evolutionary psychology, and evolutionary anthropology.

skado Level 9 July 1, 2020

Moments, omnipotence, morality, god, and existence are all human-based concepts, meaningful in our sense-world but from a cosmic perspective those words mean nothing.

Every book ever written was divinely inspired. Your post is divinely inspired. There is no absence of evidence—every molecule, every thought, reality itself is stark and immediate evidence. We experience reality intimately. The question is not whether or not there is a god. The question is what is the basis of reality.

The answer is that we do not know, but yet we can experience deep awareness, awe, appreciation and reverence for that great unknown.

that kind of evidence can only speak to the whole human being in us if we could "see" it. science wouldn't know evidence of god staring it in the face.

I'm not saying it's there, I'm just saying science wouldn't know it if it is/was.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:511079
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.