Agnostic.com

19 5

Is your reality anyone else's?

Do each of us experience the world different ly? Like the unique singularities (DNA, fingerprints, etc.) that define us and make us the same at once.

akdave 3 Apr 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There are different circles of reality: personal reality, local reality, national reality, world reality...they are all interconnected. Some, like personal reality, allows us a greater amount of control over our experiences.

Larger circles of reality, such as world reality, have physical plane realities that are universal.

Having said all of that, I believe that each person perceives the world and his/her own reality differently. In the sense that perception influences experience, I would say that, yes, each of us experience the world differently.

marga Level 7 Apr 7, 2018

@akdave

Yes, each of us is experiencing the world differently, and some heuristics point in that direction.

Perception is largely influenced by brain peculiarities, beliefs, and such. Our brain has to process everything in terms of what is already there, because there is an idle time before new neuronal networks are formed. So the more a person studies something, the better they see it.

Subjectivity only becomes affirmed when a person creates a means of understanding, rather than saying "I experience this, therefore it is real."

No, folks can share the same experience and have an entirely different vision of what they just shared.

There is one reality, but everyone experiences it somewhat differently. In fact, the degree to which some people's thinking and perceptions and interpretations and applications diverge from mine is something that I seriously underestimated in my youth, and others have made the same observation; it appears to be a common problem that you assume most others are just mild variations on your own experience and perceptions. In fact, some people's thinking turns out to be so different that it might as well literally be alien. And it isn't a requirement that they be mentally ill or have huge character issues for that to be the case, either.

Intersubjective agreement on general things like "the sky is blue on a clear day" is quite easy to establish. The more specific, descriptive and analytical you get, and the more consequential the topic, the more disagreement there is. I think this is due to a tendency to overthink, and to a need for certainty that isn't really obtainable, combined with a lack of clarity on what's really important / consequential.

For example, a literalist / inerrantist believer would find it terribly important exactly how the earth and humans were created and that it comport with a literal reading of Genesis, whereas, a liberal Christian or, say, a pagan or an atheist would have basically no interest in the topic -- to the point of it being a non-sequitur, if you don't think there's a creator to begin with.

If your whole life is devoted to bending reality around presuppositionalist beliefs, then you're going to see life very differently, with very different threat vectors and so on, than you otherwise would.

Insofar as we are individuals and have matured processing our own environments in our unique ways, I think we see the world differently. Of course, for reasons of survival, we find and typically conform to commonalities that foster cooperation and collaboration, but to me, the notion of common reality can almost be summed up in the old saying, "Two heads are better than one." The basic underlying assumption of that adage, is that even two individuals agreeing on a common goal can have enough diversity in their thinking that a cooperative effort can be manifestly, and synergistically enhanced to a degree sufficient to significantly impact society, in general, or perhaps simply to fill in a piece of a larger puzzle which may have that effect..

I think we all have individual realties, and our relationships with people depends on how much, or hwo often our realities overlap with each other.

Consensual Reality: what 99% of us will agree upon about our surrounds, such as the color of the sky. Break from it and get consigned to a mental institution.

Everyone has their own perception of the world for sure. We are individuals with multiple DNA combinations. So many differences its amazing we can be compatible with someone with completely different genes, but we somehow find enough to be attracted to each other.
Education, childhood experiences, and our living environment all contribute to our emotional makeup. Its nature vs. nurture that determine what kind of adult we will be.

I think there's a quantum theory that supports this notion.

I would absolutely love to read the calculations that would come with that. Just give me some scrambled eggs or something, and I'll be continually at it.

hahaha first of all, to clarify, my original comment was in regard to 'do each of us experience the world differently' and not 'is your reality somebody else's' @DZhukovin
This is an article I lifted by Michio Kaku, sans calculations [thebestbrainpossible.com]

@crazycurlz

Noted.

Clearly.

We’re always and only limited to our personal experience of reality.

I feel like the bulk of our realities are shared just because we are the same kind of creatures. Yet each individual has had their own particular point of view in living, which accounts for our sense of identity and place in the societies we live in. Some of our realities will overlap more or less than anothers, and at times seem quite foreign to us or even uncomfortably familiar.

I feel there are two realities: our personal reality and the reality of the world at large. Both are valid: it's important to be aware of both and where the boundaries are between them.

Yes, we even see the world differently

Of course. As a live and grow, each of us builds our own cognitive schema to interpret inpouts from our environoment, and we each build our own cognitive strucrtures or patterns of meaning. No two people's are the same.

Differing perspectives.. But what’s amazed, and comforted me is the realization of how similar we are. When you can find some honest dialogue, it’s amazing how many of the same fears and desires we share, both men & women.

What I’ve also discovered is how prominent and ..disconcerting the mental illnesses are. And how little we discuss, recognize, or understand them… That, to me, is where humanities problems lie ~

Varn Level 8 Apr 6, 2018

i would say no as it is essentially impossible .. but then again we are made of the same code.. Of the same stardust on the same rock , in the same galaxy with very little to determine any difference between any of us apart from what we as humans deem is "difference" .. It's all a bit subjective isn't it essentially .. Like a subjective one-ness .. humans = the paradox lol

We perceive it differently.

@Bobby9 Nope.

One of our strongest desires/drives is for recognition by others, this desire structures what we desire, we desire what other's desire.

cava Level 7 Apr 6, 2018

I had a conversation along this line recently. My point was since you can't experience someone else's observations, you cannot know, that their sense "world" is the same as yours.

Hell, maybe everything is just my imagination any way.

JimG Level 8 Apr 6, 2018

Can you stop imagining my toothache please bud ?

@Nickbeee I'll do my best.

@JimG Cheers .. like maybe you could make my whole head vanish to be fair ?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:51176
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.