Agnostic.com

11 19

8 Reasons Why Christianity is False........ by Bill Flavel

There is very little that we can prove in this world. However, we can look for evidence to support claims people make and, when there is sufficient supporting evidence and no contrary evidence, we can conclude a claim is probably true.

However, it is easier to prove something is false – all you need is contradictory evidence. Here are my eight reasons why Christianity is false. There is abundant evidence to support each reason. I don’t have space here to give the evidence but if you are not aware of it, I can provide it.

1. There is clear evidence that prayer does not work despite the Bible promising prayers will be answered.

2. There is clear evidence that humans invent gods and there is no reason to believe the Jewish god is an exception.

3. There is clear evidence that religions and gods are propagated through culture by infecting children, and no evidence that they are propagated by gods.

4. There is clear evidence that religions evolve as human understanding of the world changes whilst a real, God-given religion, should never need to change.

5. There is clear evidence that humans on this planet have unequal access to Christianity so, if Christianity is true, billions would be condemned to hell for no fault of their own. This contradicts the Christian notion that God is omni-benevolent.

6. There is clear evidence that the Bible, supposedly inspired by God, is riddled with the type of errors that we would expect from Iron Age men but not from the creator of the universe.

7. Christian theology is incoherent to the point of absurdity. God killing his son so he can forgive our future sin is like me breaking my son’s legs so I can forgive my neighbour in case she ever parks her car on my drive. It is quite ridiculous.

8. There is clear evidence that the arguments presented for the existence of God are founded on logical fallacies – all of them. All that is left for Christians is faith and their feelings. We know that faith and feelings can be used to believe in any of the non-existent gods. So faith and feelings are epistemologically worthless. And that is all Christians have.

I rest my case.

--Bill Flavel

mischl 8 July 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Another reason Christianity is bull is that

1. They could Jesus birthday correct.
  2. They not get the color of his skin right.

It's all make-believe.

@mischl you are absolutely right

On Reason #1, God answers every prayer. He just likes to say NO.

Here is more proof that it is all just fictional stories.

I don't know where the narrator got his info regarding Horus but, imo, he's barking up the wrong tree.
Yes Horus was the son of Osiris and Isis, Osirus WAS the son of Khnum ( Amun) the Creator of All things according to the Egyptian Story of Creation, Horus was NOT defeated by his unlce, Seth, Horus defeated Seth after Seth killed Osirus out of jealousy, dismembered the body and hid the pieces. Horus lost his right eye in the ensuing battle with Seth, Isis and her sister Nephtys recovered the body of Osirus, resurrected him but could not find his heart.
Ra/Re is the Sungod personified, also depicted as the Aton by Amenhotep IV/ Akhenaton and each night Ra/Re travels through the Underworld battling the darkness and returning at sun-rise each new day.
As for the December, 25th, the Egyptian Calender contained no such month of that name.
That came from the much later Roman Calender pre- the Julian Calander, ancient Egyptian calenders did have named months BUT those months were made up of 3 weeks with 10 days in every week plus 5 inauspicious days incleded in every year except for every fourth year to which an extra inauspicious day was added, i.e. 365 days for every 3 years and 366 in the every fourth year.

Put together very nicely. Number 5 stands out especially, but it will go over the heads of many. Lots of people see no problems with this god of many names and Jesus who only had one.

How about King of Kings, Lamb of God, or The Good Shepard --- to name a few?

@Aristippus My illusion to the Jesus name is that he is not Jesus Smith or Jesus Jones. My kids tell me Jesus only needed one name because he is god. They fail to see that this does not explain anything. If you have a Jesus who died and was buried somewhere this leads into why he has so many tombs or burial places. Itr also explains all the cross splinters and nails that we have had over the centuries.

Are you another who wastes their precious one & only life counting how many angels fit on the head of a pin? (a popular pastime in the early Middle Ages, leading to excommunication & lost tempers) Get a life!

Thanks, Anne. Actually, I have a pretty good life. But this post was just copying a mini-essay by Mr. Flavel. I though some of our readers might enjoy his points of view.

What? ONLY 8 reasons?
IF I had all day and night to waste I could list at least 1,000+ more and without breaking into a sweat as well.

While all 8 of your statements are true, none of them "prove"that Christianity is false. Your opening thesis statement, "it is easier to prove something is false – all you need is contradictory evidence." Is incorrect. You cannot logically prove a negative. For example, you statement that "There is clear evidence that humans invent gods" is true. However, while this makes it highly probably that there Jewish good is not an exception, it does not prove the point.
Logical arguments do not sway those who have abandoned reason for faith. These logical arguments, however, would not prove anything a rational thinker either.
The good news is, we don't have to prove that Christianity is false. The burden of proof lies squarely on the shoulders of the faithful. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. And that which is claimed without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.

Ludo Level 7 July 6, 2020

You said, "However, while this makes it highly probably that there Jewish good is not an exception, it does not prove the point." Assuming good is a typo and you ment Jewish God, I make this point because you appear not to know anything about the Jewish God.

The expression "the Son of man" occurs 81 times in the Greek text of the four Canonical gospels, and is used only in the sayings of Jesus.[3] wikipedia

As written, Jesus character is saying he is man made. The meaning of the expression is controversial. Interpretation of the use of "the Son of man" in the New Testament has remained challenging and after 150 years of debate no consensus on the issue has emerged among scholars.[1][2] See wikipedia "son of man"

The meaning in simple form, Jesus character is saying he is nan made. Then, Jesus character says the people are the Gods. John 10:34 "Is it not written in your Law, 'I have said you are "gods"'?

The people are creators(gods) by the thought/speach of speaking Jesus character into existence.

Now, you do not have to think it "highly probably that there Jewish good[sic] is not an exception", you know for a fact Jesus character is no except and that people make babies, what as accepted by biblical text, people are gods. People are creator man-gods making mankind and gods. Gods exist, Atheism illogical.

There is some evidence that certain types of prayers do not yield the desired results. Having desires is a pretty lowly human condition having no significance from a higher perspective. There is evidence that contemplation and meditation result in serenity, joy and health. Maybe it’s because communion with our higher selves facilitates acceptance of whatever events befall us.

The Bible is full of mythology, legends, metaphors, wild stories and outright lies. Some parts of the Bible might have value as artistic expressions and it also has some valuable teachings. It is not meaningful to assign a true/false value judgment to a collection af ancient writings.

What humans do is try to understand the underlying basis of reality. Apparently there is a reality, and there is something behind it all, something profoundly mysterious but staggering in significance. Arguing over belief in fanciful gods does nothing whatsoever to address the stark reality of existence, rather it is a diversion stemming from fear.

I agree with you about Christian theology—it’s ridiculous so let’s just turn away and look at other ideas. There’s no need to wage war or wallow in hatred.

My good Sir, the ONLY effect prayer of any kind ever has is the Psychological Placebo Effect.
E.g. " I lost my keys, I was desperate to find them, I prayed to God/Jesus and, miraculously, they WERE in the very last place I looked for them, thank you God and Jesus."
Simple logic will tell anyone with even half a brain that a lost article WILL turn up in the very LAST place you look for them.
Ergo, use logical thought and things will be resolved.

@Triphid I take it that you reject the remote viewing phenomenon.

@WilliamFleming IF you embrace this 'remote viewing phenomenon' then please tell all of us, here and now, precisely what I am wearing at this very moment.

@Triphid I didn’t say that I embrace remote viewing. I don’t know enough about it to really be persuaded, however some of the things I’ve read are hard to discount. In order to account for such a thing you’d have to conjecture some sort of universal awareness, accessible to everyone, and that same idea would explain other phenomena also, such as these oddly improbable synchronous events.

I read that the Australian Aborigines can communicate remotely. Is there anything to that?

So far as what you are wearing. I see you wearing pants and a shirt. 🙂

@WilliamFleming "Pants and a shirt" you say, way, way off the mark there Sport.
Yes, Aussie Aboriginals can communicate over very long distances BUT they used to use a 'device' commonly called by the European Settlers known as a "Bull-Roarer," i.e. a carved piece of hardwood, flat on one side, slightly curved on the other with a thin strip of leather or animal sinew attached at one end and spun around in vertical circles in alternating clock-wise and counter-clock-wise directions as seen and used in the film " Crocodile Dundee 2."
Of course there was, also, the superstitious belief of "Singing'a person to Death that was assumed to be done at times over great and vast distances but that is baloney and is usually the result of the 'victim' having a Guilty Conscience to start with anyway.
And YES, the tales of native Kadiachamen /women are true BUT they too are neither Ghosts nor Spirits, they ARE REAL people who are the 'elected' Bringers of Native Justice and that role is passed down from Father to Son, Mother to Daughter through the generations.
The Kadiacha wear shoes made from Emu skins complete with the feathers so as to leave NO footprints as they walk, they will leave a message, usually a number of white stones depicting the number of 'moons' (nights) left before they WILL arrive and 1 black stone to depict the day/night when they will execute the sentence passed for the crime committed.
Plus most Aboriginal petroglyphs/cave arts are depictions of animals to hunted, animals that may NEVER been hunted and eaten for Totemic reasons, the tracks, trails to be walked and where the best camping sites and water sources can be found.
They do NOT use 'Remote Viewing' at all btw.

You argue against christianity but you are doing the equivocation fallacy.

In logic, equivocation is an informal fallacy resulting from the use of a particular word/expression in multiple senses within an argument. It is a type of ambiguity that stems from a phrase having two distinct meanings, not from the grammar or structure of the sentence. Wikipedia

Just to cover a couple. By biblical definition Religion is defined as: Religion ... pure and faultless is this: to help widows and orphans in need and avoiding worldly corruption. James 1:27

Faith is knowledge, in particular, knowledge of the laws and writings of government for the nation of Israel , basically the old testiment refered to as "the word of God".

Romans 10:17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

If you are going to build a case against Christianity, you should get better or proper terminology and not use such words that may have evolved with such double meanings.

Word Level 8 July 6, 2020

You use the bible to define religion. It’s an illogical use of an “appeal to authority” of a highly ambiguous, contradictory text.
Making an “appeal to faith” is a logically fallacious approach.
Why would you throw stones with your own logical fallacies? It’s laughable.

@Mvtt you appeal to what to define "religion? You just pull your religion defination out of your buttox?

@Mvtt As appeals to a perceived lack of authority, these types of argument are fallacious for much the same reasons as an appeal to authority. Wikipedia

Then again, you would say wikipedia is an appeal to authority.

Appeal to authority ... the opinion of an authority on a topic is used as evidence to support an argument.

The biblical text is not giving an opinion. Religion in its early uses before translated into English was used like we now use the word "responsibility " in English.

When biblical authors talk about having religion they are talking about having responsibilities such as helping widows and orphans.

@Word it would be more credible to do so, yes. And while you learn to fix your fallacious illogical arguments, perhaps on that journey you may improve on your definition of religion that you assert. Following that, your arguments. I’ve pointed out your logical fallacies, now let’s see you address them and grow as a person. Stop wasting people’s time.

@Word your appeal to faith is still showing.

You are using evidence and logic, which we on this site agree with, to refute a belief system based on faith and indoctrination, or what Harari calls intersectionality.

We all get it. The believers don't care.

all gods and all religions are false

Exactly true. Except "religion" actually exists...as an infection in parts of the brain.

@mischl why except? nobody said religions didn't exist, but they are all false, like a 3 dollar bill exists but is definitely false.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:512766
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.