Agnostic.com

12 4

LINK A Third of Young Millennials Are Confused About This Incontrovertible Fact

I just can’t reconcile the fact that there are so many people that believe in a flat Earth. There is so much evidence that suggest otherwise. Case in point is that the moon is round and there are so many photos from the space stations proving the Earth is round. What say you?

ballou 8 Apr 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

They 'believe' it for psychological reasons, not because of any convincing evidence. In other words, they want to be different, to go against the flow, to be anti-establishment or anti-science, or just because they want to be in an 'exclusive club' that has knowledge that the rest of us ordinary folks don't have. There's no point in arguing with them, any more than there's any point in telling someone that God, or Aliens, isn't really sending them personal messages directly to their brain. Just ignore them.

When I was in my twenties I'd observed all kinds of eclipses. Sailed across the North Sea, observed navigation buoys appearing and disapearing over the horizon and used the known height of their lights and the curvature of the earth to confirm our distance from them on a chart. Yet nothing was more convincing and directly apparent to show me the curvature of the earth than looking out from the summit of Ben Nevis and seeing a church spire in the distance reaching for the sky at a distinct angle.

On the one hand it's tempting to reflect on that, to look down on today's millenials and pity them for not having lead the life I've lead and had enjoyed the same wide range of educational experiences of the real world. However I do recognise the smug sense of self satifaction this gives me and note how well that sense seems to correlate with being totally wrong about things.

So its even more tempting to reject that point of view entirely and admire today's millenials for their complete and utter contempt for the role of the survey taker. Hail Eris young millenials you're the first generation to have constant, free communication with friends in all timezones. I don't believe for one second that this survey reflects what you believe but I totally respect your right to wear bullshit as a badge of defiance.

It's an interesting phenomenon - and they're serious about what they believe.

There are many Flat-earthers on YouTube and quite a few who take a delight in debunking them.

Consensus among debunkers seems to be that there is little use in arguing because either the Flat-earther is too poorly educated or has a low IQ or subscribes to a number of such alternative theories. The alternative/bewildered set tend to stick together and repeat the same arguments.

Basically, both a disenchantment with authority (and that includes what they were taught in school) and a lack of critical reasoning are to blame.

18 year olds aren't millenials. They're generation x. Also I've never actually met a flat earther and hope to never.

@ScienceBiker that's generation z. Millenials were 1980 to 1999

The most convincing photos that demonstrate the world isn't flat is the lunar eclipse. We just recently had one cross through most of the country last year so I was hoping this was an old article.

As far back as I can remember there have been conspiracy theorists. They come from all backgrounds and all levels of education. There will always be a percentage of the population that will reject and accuse government bodies, science, and popular beliefs. Isn't humanity interesting? 🙂

Betty Level 8 Apr 6, 2018

A THIRD of millennials? Wow.

MrHIT Level 5 Apr 6, 2018

I am apalled at the level of stupidity. I don't know if the election of Trump opened the floodgates of stupidity or what happened.

How old is the guy who launched himself in a rocket to" prove "the world is flat? I think he's a boomer. I'm a boomer, but of course I know better. I don't think it has anything to do with age.my kids certainly know better.

Hmm... people and their beliefs crack me up. It's like those that are affraid of spirits and ghost. I still love a good scare but I know this crap ain't real. Let the idiots be what they choose to be and smile that you have more common sense then them.

That's why homeschooling should not be allowed

Photos can be interpreted as a flat disc.
You can not use rational ideas and reasoning with such people.

And CT'ers maintain that everything is just Photoshopped and propaganda.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:51284
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.