Agnostic.com

6 2

I'm pretty new here. Was raised Christian as my father and grandfather were both protestant ministers. The older and wiser I get the less I believe in any god or "higher power". One thing that always stumps me though is how did the universe come to be? How can something come from nothing? I know this is the big question....and I've never heard an explanation that satisfies. If there are past posts that addresses this please advise. Thanks

RikiTikiTavi 4 July 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It’s our nature to anthropomorphize everything for easy handling, so any stories about a real, all-powerful person who created the universe probably comes from that instinct. It, of course, doesn’t come from any verifiable evidence.

How the universe began might be a badly formulated question to ask, at least before we know whether the universe began. Another H.sapiens instinct: everything has a beginning and an end. Well, circles don’t. We similarly thought, at one time that one could come to the “ends of the earth” but oops, no can do - it’s a circle. Maybe the cosmos is a circle.

All said, seems like a mistake to think there’s no greater power than me. Any group is more powerful than any individual. My local, state, and federal governments are all a lot more powerful than I am. They can lay down the law and enforce it a lot more effectively than I can avoid it. Just the weather is more powerful than I am. It can stop me, but I can’t stop it.

The laws of physics have their way with us and the best we can do is cope. We exist at the mercy of an unthinking, and unthinkably violent, environment, on a speck on a speck on a speck, in a lost corner of infinity. To think I have any power at all is a confidence game. To think my power is greater than the entirety of reality, puts a new spin on the concept of “disconnect.”

skado Level 9 July 11, 2020

Maybe it's ALWAYS existed.

The big point which makes scientific thinking different from faith based thinking, is that in the philosophy of science, it is OK to say, I don't know.

In fact its better than OK, don't know, is the greatest, most humane and the most important of all answers, firstly because it guards against false answers, and secondly because it gives the human mind endless frontiers to explore. You can climb the highest hill and see a long way, but you can not see the other side of the world, not even from the moon, but that does not mean there is not a perfectly solid real and natural other hemisphere. There is no natural law which says that a human brain, which evolved to solve the problems of a small ape, living on the plains of Africa, will ever be able to solve all the problems of the universe or find the natural answers to them, but that does not mean that there are no natural answers.

That whole argument from Christians never made any sense to me. If the universe came from God, where did God come from? Nothing, right? It's a big circular issue that always takes you back to nothing.

"Nothing" is an impossibility.
Dark describes the absence of light, there is no such thing as the dark
Cold describes the absence of heat, there is no such thing as the cold
Nothing describes the absence of all, there is no such thing as the nothing

Even Christianity acknowledges this because they say something cannot come from nothing, so it must have come from god, however if there IS god then there is not nothing.

Being is the natural state of affairs, however it is in constant flux, and in constant change, our omniverse is simply th current iteration.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:514414
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.