Agnostic.com

11 8

Have you lost a friend over wearing a mask?

After Washington State closed hair salons, my hairdresser Kameon has been illegally cutting and coloring customer's hair in her home. She refuses to wear a mask, even though I sewed her one. Have been urging her wear a mask to protect herself, her family and customers.

She's a Republican. Five years ago, I convinced Kameon to remove the Confederate flag from the teen boy cave in her garage. "It's a symbol of racism," I insisted.

Previously, we agreed to disagree over politics. Yesterday she said we can't be friends anymore because "you insist on shoving your beliefs down my throat."

"Clearly, you dumped me as a friend when you got involved with Tim" (two years ago), I replied. Kameon plans to marry Tim and move away to an isolated barn they are remodeling.

It's her fourth marriage. She sold her business and building. Now she is selling her house, eliminating fall-back options if the marriage doesn't work out. I don't dare say that to her.

C'est la vie. A few of my friends are Republicans who actually wear a mask. But refusing to wear a mask is a public health hazard. I refuse to be silent about it.

Your thoughts?

LiterateHiker 9 July 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I fully agree with your position.

Sounds like you have outgrown her (less then responsible) behavior. I would say no loss on your behalf if she removes you from her circle of friends (not sure I would want to be a member of her circle of friends).

I don't understand people's apprehension about masks. I have made just under 2 dozen masks and given half away to my mother and a nurse that is an old friend. The nurse (Home health care and hospice) sees an average of 7 patients a day and she uses a different mask for each encounter. You know this is the same policy your old friend should practice.

I hope most states (and/or cities) mandate mandatory mask usage.

As mandated on campus, when working at school I have worn a home made mask for most of the day and found I should swap them every few hours as they get wet. (I added a removable filter layer between the outer cloth and lining). They are nice as when you take off the mask, you smell things with a great deal of strength.

I will likely build and use a powered respirator (mask to be worn under home-made mask) as I am rather sure I will encounter virus in the classroom when they restart school in a month and a few days.

I have no friends who would not wear a mask.

Does not sound like she was a real friend to begin with, she only cares about herself and not her clients who could die if they caught it,wonder how she would feel then if held responsible

All of my Trump supporting friends and family wear masks. We agree that it's not a political issue. No decent human being wants to take the risk of making another person sick or dead.

Not yet.

I'm a Conservative, who is also a Pharmacy tech by trade, I have been wearing a mask, since the beginning. I wear it to protect everyone, I don't see this as political, but just common sense decency. I hate how some are saying "Their rights are being violated". I try to live by the rule that, "My freedom ends, where the next person's, begins".

The mask is a serious issue. Tim and her house are her issues to resolve. You wouldn’t need to touch either

I've had quite a few falling outs here. My philosophy is "If they're too pig-headed to accept contradiction, then they're not worth knowing anyway" They all fall into the "acquaintances" category anyway.

Petter Level 9 July 14, 2020

I think it is more accurate to say you were friendly with her. She is not your friend, or she would respect your health. It's not like there isn't any evidence to support your position. Then again, she is a republekin.

Refusing to wear a mask is selfish, privileged behavior and I don't want that type of person in my life. I have lost a friend over this, and a sibling.

MizJ Level 8 July 14, 2020

Keep speaking up, and setting a good example. People tend to change when they find they are in a tiny minority.

Yes, which is shame as we have to wear masks at work.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:515284
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.