Agnostic.com

7 1

Waste Education Money?

Why do we need Physical Education at a High School? Why do we need Art classes? All we need is Reading, writing, arithmetic, and science. Everything else stude4nts can get somewhere else. Why spend the money? When did school systems take on the responsibility to see that all students get enough food? I say just teach them reading, writing, arithmetic, and some science. Then save all the extra tax money. Schools pay teachers $60,000 per year to go to school wearing gym shorts to teach physical education. Are you kidding me? What do you think?

Grecio 7 July 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I also used to think like you, especially about physical education. It’s something you can practice in your free time, and you don’t need to waste time and money providing that in high school. Of course, there is another side to it: most kids would not do any sports outside school if their parents did not encourage them to.
And the fact is that most parents don’t even care about that. They just send their kids to school and expect good results from them. They might only care whether their kid passed the cut-off marks, and that’s it.
That’s why it might still be important to show those kids what they can and should do in life to be more or less physically healthy.

We ‘need’ outlets for the physically overactive and introverts to shine, something for them to look forward to ..so as to continue attending school.

Having worked within schools, I witnessed it. Drama, Art, Music, Shop, Computer ‘science,’ PE; each allows someone to show their stuff. My respite was art, the only thing I did well, for years..

It’s said our advantage over nations like china is our creativity. They can duplicate & mass produce - we (in the USA) can conceive it ~

Varn Level 8 July 15, 2020

I feel sorry for the students who had you as their educator and role model.

It looks like straight self interest on your part. You were a teacher and you think teachers should get paid more, at the expense of the personal enrichment and fulfillment of students!

I believe teachers should be paid better too, much better, I used to be a teacher but never have a met an educator who would take away from students so they can have more.

The reason schools provide such things is because many families can't. So if you want the people living in your society to be mature and well rounded, support public education, all of it, it all has value.

I think you are mis-judging me. Stdents need all the training they can get. But why dump it all on the schools?I am just saying, if it ain't reading, writing, or arithmetic, them teach it somewhere else.

@Grecio

Because teaching is what schools do. For millions of kids, public school is the only opportunity they will have to be exposed to any of that stuff growing up. Why should they be limited just because their parents can't afford to send them elsewhere to have those experiences?

Is it really that difficult for schools to include a wide range of subjects? No, they have been doing it for decades. Yes, let's pay the teachers better, and let's expand the education offered to the children. It is of the utmost importance.

I mean, doesn't it make sense to have all sorts of courses in one location? Imagine the logistics of sending kids all over the place for various sorts of education. They can't transport themselves, it will be a financial drain and a time management headache for parents. And worst part is, loads of kids will miss out.

Why not just teach the kids all they need to know in one convenient place? Why are you of the opinion that investment in the fulfillment of students is "Waste Education Money"?

@Grecio

"why dump it all on the schools?"

That's literally what schools are for. We build schools for teaching and training. That is their purpose.

I am with you man, everything one needs to know is in the bible. It is especially rigorous on Math.

Well said.

40 cubits by 80 cubits.

@Grecio that is a lot of cubic cubits.

Ridiculousness. Obviously you are not an educator.

t1nick Level 8 July 14, 2020

Actually I am a retired educator. A football coach and Math teacher for 20 years.

@Grecio

That explains a lot. You listed football coach first, that speaks volumes.

Actually, i was a football and wrestling coach for 20 years.

@t1nick Hahahahahahahahaha Point taken..

@t1nick Football coaches and all athletic coaches do a lot of good for kids.

learning, school, might be the only place for someone can learn these kind of things for healthy bodies and minds. the human is an extraordinarily creative creature. the Arts are crucial to The Human Experience, to the human endeavor. Math and Science don't begin to cover the kinds of things that people ought to know. school is likely the only place that many are exposed to the arts.

Why put all the responsibility on schools? Let the rec dept. and the Arts council provide the instruction. We ask too much out of schools. Let someone else feed the students.

@Grecio basically because that's what schools are for. teaching our younger citizens about the world. they aren't there (schools) just to provide human labor for the establishment. .Maybe NASA and NOAA, and those type of Institutions should take care of the science and math so we could get rid of schools all together. we could focus on the arts better if we did that.

Art classes have been eliminated in most high schools in my state.

Well said, but why tax the schools with the burden? I f a students wants to learn art, then let them go to the Arts Council?

@Grecio sad state.

@Grecio why burden the Arts Council? you just don't get that the humanities are just as important, AT LEAST, as the hard Sciences.

Let them learn it somewhere else. Don't burden schools with it.

@hankster Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Let them learn everything else watching TV.

@hankster Interesting idea. With Corona, most schools are on-line anyway.

@hankster What societal problems do Arts solve? How do I help society if I can blow a Tuba?

@Grecio if that's all you see in it, it's probably all you will ever see. I'm not here to open your eyes.

@Grecio lol... keeps you from talking don't it.

@Grecio Actually studies have shown that kids that are in band have much higher math scores than kids that do not take band or private music lessons.

Considering the rampant obesity in the US, PhyEd is essential. 😮

I agree, but why don't the ones that want it just go to the recreation department? Why pay a teacher $60,000 a year to teach basketball and tennis?

I totally agree, but why tax our schools with a burden?

@Grecio What is the average salary of (say) a fork-lift or truck driver ?

How important is the education of our youth ?

@FearlessFly The average salary of a forklift driver is $30,000. The average salary of a PE teacher is $55,000. Do we need someone to teach basketball at $60,000 per year? Just asking.

Yes, PhyEd, nutrition, health, and sports are essential, especially for a country filled with such ignorant unhealthy people.

@Grecio . . . as opposed to sitting on their asses all day in school ?
YES, we DO need that !

@RoboGraham Well said, but why burden our schools? If they want to learn ceramics, let them go to a ceramics school.

@Grecio . . . first PhyEd, now ceramics . . .

[logicallyfallacious.com]

@Grecio

Why divide the disciplines into separate schools? Why not teach everything in a logical fashion in one place, public school, where all children have access, unlike "ceramics" school, which is not widely available?

You are either so thick that you can't understand the simple concept that public schools teaching a wide variety of subjects is the best way to ensure that all students get a decent comprehensive education or you get it but you intentionally want education to be more restrictive. I'm not sure which is worse

@RoboGraham I am just saying that we expect schools to make good adults out of children that aren't worth wasting our time with. By law, students have to attend school until they are 17. Most teachers say that 75% of the time in a day that they are dealing with discipline problems. I think that we just fill up the day for students until; their parents get off work. Have school for 1/2 a day for reading, writing, arithmetic and let the students go somewhere else to learn extra-curricula.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:515418
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.