Agnostic.com

9 6

Poof!
I had a very nasty response and won’t allow these things to bother me so “block” forever. Bye bye

Lightupmylife 7 July 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have one concern about blocking. I have blocked a couple of individuals, but unfortunately all posts become invisible as soon as any of those individuals responds to or comments on them.

I want to block individuals, but don't want to block entire threads just because those individuals become involved.

I can see several ways to correct this, so if anyone in a position of influence wants I can provide some specs.

Of course, there's always the chance that I have misinterpreted the system's behavior and thus misunderstood this problem.

I have blocked people and still been able to see the thread but with their comments removed. Why would blocking someone remove threads that they commented on? I could also be wrong but I don't think that it does. Thank you for summoning the powers that be because it is an important point that was also raised earlier in this thread.

. . . I don't think that is accurate. I notice that when folks respond to someone who has blocked me, the " @whoever " response shows not the comment but the response to the "blocker" as well as the rest of the OP and comments. ymmv

@LovinLarge, @FearlessFly most of the posts I read come to me through Alerts. I get an alert whenever someone I follow post something or response or comments.

I frequently get alerts when somebody I follow has made a comment, and when I follow that alert the response says that post is unavailable. The minimal research that I have done indicates that someone I have blocked has commented on that post.

@BitFlipper IIUC, from that comment, you are getting alerts from :
a) someone you follow . . .
who is also . . .
b) someone you have blocked
c) which would explain why "that post is unavailable"

Which wouldn't contradict what we claim.

If these statements are not accurate . . . clarify.

@BitFlipper I have posted the question to the Administrators and will report back when I receive an answer.

@FearlessFly you have that wrong. I know this is complicated so I'll try again.

1. I get an alert when someone I follow comments on a post
  2. I go to look at that post
  3. I am blocked from viewing the post
  4. Experimentation reveals that someone I have blocked has also responded to that post.

I'm not dumb enough to both block and follow the same person. Is that even possible?

@BitFlipper I think it is possible if you have followed them, then they subsequently block you -- easy enough to check by trying to access their profiles (all 74 of them). It would make sense (from a programming perspective) that if you block someone who you previously followed they would "automatically" be removed from your follows, but I don't know if that is the case, do you ?

I haven't blocked anyone.

"I try hard not to offend, but I try harder to not be offended" -- Navy SEAL veteran and congressman-elect Dan Crenshaw

I agree with the sentiment but it only works with reasonable people. Some people gravitate online because they are ostracised from the community for unreasonable conduct. Once I have seen enough to determine that I am not interested in what someone has to say, I value my own time by blocking that person.

Nice sentiment but I block Trump supporters. I just can't tolerate it anymore. I'm surrounded by them on a daily basis.

@LovinLarge @freeofgod I can CHOOSE to not be offended. I can also CHOOSE to scroll-by/ignore/let-go posts/comments which I find unreasonable. 😮

@FearlessFly You can, but making that assessment takes time and often I've already read it before I've reached that conclusion. It's more time effective to block someone whose input I've already determined has no value to me, or in the case of the OP, why would she give someone a second opportunity to send her a nasty message?

I'm glad your approach works for you but it does not work for everyone.

@LovinLarge I have never advocated the 'removal' of the block feature.

I HAVE advocated that (if it were up to me) the 'list' of "who I have blocked" and "who has blocked me" be transparently shown on all profiles. ymmv
😮

@FearlessFly That is a good idea. It had not occurred to me. I concur, thank you.

The block button is your friend.

I am a liberal, so l use the block liberally, over 170 times so far.

Sorry--I never understand the need to harass other people on message boards. Sadly, you'll miss every thread he/she posts on.

My understanding is the only things you won't see are the posts and messages posted by the person you blocked, you would still see threads they commented on just not their comments.

@LovinLarge I hope you're right! I've only blocked one person and regretted it because posts he'd made became invisible...the entire post.

@LucyLoohoo I think you're right about the disappearance of all posts and comments by the blocked person, just not the threads they comment on posted by someone else. On other sites there is usually a way to unblock them but I don't know about here. Sounds like there needs to be.

I've tried really hard not to block anyone here. But I'm getting really closer to utilizing the power. I am not here to engage with trolls, and I'm finding some more difficult to avoid than others. It's a learning curve for sure.

I had that sentiment when I first joined! But now I have a few blocked 🙂

@Cutiebeauty I will always choose peace over trolls, so am very happy to have the block option. 😁

@Amzungu blocking nasty people makes the community more peaceful and enjoyable.. So use the block option as you desire.. Some new members actually choose to leave.. Maybe they didn't know about blocking..

@Cutiebeauty that was me, once! Lol

@Amzungu OK but don't leave! 🙂

@Cutiebeauty I'm afraid you're stuck with me now. 😉

@Amzungu noooooooo!!! Lol

I can take nasty. I can't take nasty ad Infinitum on the thread that never ends. When it has sequels on other threads, that is not enjoyable for me. This person needs take it somewhere else. Block.

barjoe Level 9 July 15, 2020

Exactly. I've decided that the liberal use of the block feature is critical to the effective use of this site.

That's what it's for🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:515571
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.