Agnostic.com

6 1

Dear lifelong atheists, how do you see yourself within the universe?

Fred_Snerd 8 July 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Living

Why would I wonder about "the universe" As If it had sentient abilities? I ignore it, it ignores me....

@Fred_Snerd other than denigrating stupidity, and donating to the ACLU, Lincoln Project, and Heifer International, none, I hope

I am not a "life long" atheist but have been an atheist for many years now.
I am a self awareness within an environment, my perception of which is limited by my reliance upon my sensory perceptions and on occasions the assistance of technology.
I see no point in attempting to go beyond those perceptions except when something outside of the range of my perceptions can have a perceived consequence upon my well being or perceived physicality.
I assume from my perceptions that I am part of a greater whole but I acknowledge that I may have been deceived in to thinking this.
However since I am unable to prove that deception and since it's reality or unreality have no baring or consequence upon my continued existence I am content for it to remain an hypothesis.

@Fred_Snerd I was referring to the effects of things such as UV light causing skin cancer or ultrasonic sound causing physical damage.
Social interaction is another matter entirely, the perceived world that I live in has societies and social interaction has both rights and responsibilities to which I subscribe so long as they serve the greater good of all.
But over all my effect on human society during my tenure would I hope be over all positive, I like the old cliche "leave the world better than you found it."

A mere speck of life and conscious for a millisecond in time.

@Fred_Snerd Yes. We are all insignificant. We will all expire along with the sun. No memory or history will exist. I don't think about society.

@Fred_Snerd I'm sure you're special.

@Fred_Snerd Do NOT ask the question if you aren't mature enough to accept the answer.

I find no need to ponder the vagaries of life. I consider myself a realist, dealing with the now and near future and not inclined to need answers to why is there air and the details of physics and chemistry that created everything. I am here now and I will no longer be here at some future time. I vote to try and make life better for most, fight for what I believe in by supporting causes and people. I live my life to benefit those close to me and those not. I am not vegan, anti gun control or anti guns. I recycle as much as I can, try to keep my climate footprint small and live a good life within my parameters (I do wear a mask when out and about!).
I am interested in science and history, but not in need of analyzing the why and wherefores. I worship nothing and no one, have no burning desires to accomplish anything before I die, just enjoy a life well lived and interesting in many ways so many others will never experience.
More directly to answer your question, since I have rambled on: I see myself as a grain of sand in the ocean of the universe! LOL

@Fred_Snerd pretty much!! 😁

Almost too small to be seen at all, except in a very very close mirror.

@Fred_Snerd Yep that too.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:515661
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.