Agnostic.com

6 1

Banning symbols flags and free speech

I actually helped to remove nazi knives from sale at a Conoco/uhaul in Oklahoma a couple of years ago. It led to a discussion about what do you support verses what is legal. I know the swastika is illegal in Germany. Germany wanted to be as separated from supporting that nazi mentality as possible. Then people argued but the swasticka is a buddhist symbol and someone was posting about the Vikings use of it when it wasnt anything to do with racism. The knife I am referring to was clearly in style and color of nazi swastika. It was being sold by a man from Bangladesh who said he had no idea what it meant. He gushed to me about how his family only watches Christian television. He told me about his father being beaten during wartimes also and he promptly removed the knives from sale. He told me he had no idea what it meant. Given that we were educated in different countries especially I had to believe him.

It is more important to talk to each other than attack each other. If you want to reenact history and you dress for the sake of education and theatre, this is not something that should be restricted.

I have met people from the south that thought the confederate flag was a symbol of the south. I believe education in this country also varies in different parts of the US. I was told this by a woman who identified as progressive and had a masters degree in occupational therapy. She said she never thought of it as representing slavery. I have other family who told me the same and we went rounds about it. I told them it is clearly supporting slavery and they didnt feel that way. So, I think it is important for the sake of mutual understanding to realize that we don't have the same understanding. We don't have the same experience.

I do not feel public institutions in America should be flying the confederate flag because it is not the United States flag. However, I don't agree with attacking people if they privately own a confederate flag. I think we start down a dangerous path when we start outlawing or prosecuting people over a symbol like that.

All that being said, right now I think anyone who lives in the US and tries to burn the US flag is unaware of what they have.
[google.com]

thinkwithme 7 July 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Here's my two cents. I served, I didn't serve a piece of cloth. I served a nation, its people and the constitution. I couldn't care less about a piece of cloth. In fact I have an unhealthy hatred toward it. Every time the damn thing was raised we got blasted out of sleep by bugle calls on the PA.

Here's your $1.99 change. Thank you come again.

redhog Level 7 July 19, 2020

Thank you for the perspective. I would thank you for your service but I got yelled at last time I thanked someone so it's hard to know what to do sometimes. I know you arent a flag. The flag shows me what country I'm in. I know the preamble that goes with it, the bill of rights, it's not some other country I don't know or understand. Its home. I'm concerned what is in peoples heads when they do stuff like that. I know it was a big issue years ago, whether it should be legal. That's not my concern as much as why.

If someone flies the Confederate flag (secessionists from and enemies of the US) then they should be okay with burning the Stars and Stripes.

Gareth Level 7 July 19, 2020

I don't promote doing either.

And the confederate flag should be banned in public. And burned.

I don't like it either, but I'm not going to encourage people to do dangerous things over a piece of cloth. I would not suggest getting into an altercation especially a physical altercation with anyone over it.

@thinkwithme I'd burn that one too. This flag respect is nothing but brainwashing.

@PondartIncbendog I don't know, but I'm not promoting anarchy. We can be appreciative of some things

I'm a veteran. There is NO law prohibiting burning the flag. Veterans paid the price for your opinion. And they paid the price so people could burn the flag. The Va is underfunded for decades. No respect is needed for the flag. Its a piece of cloth that represents the country. Fuck the flag. You burn it when its soiled. Or worn.
I was USAF, my father was ARMY and my two brothers were NAVY. Nam era. In the military we are taught about flag respect and handling.

Thank you for your service. How can we get better funding to vets? No one said make it a law against it. It just makes them seem unappreciative. If you burn it because your pissed, well it doesnt make as much sense as actually talking about or doing something about the funding vets need.

@thinkwithme You don't know a fucking thing about me. This is about your stupid statement. It is incorrect and idiotic. . Fuck the flag. You burn it when its soiled. Or worn
Block me!

@PondartIncbendog Thanks for demonstrating how much people don't understand each other alot. My point was people don't realize people fight for them and lack the appreciation for that people guard them, the police, and the military. To appreciate their country and what they have.

@PondartIncbendog That makes you angry when someone says thank you to you?

@thinkwithme People are not flags. I am not a flag.

I'm talking about people that want to demonstrate that they have a horrible country that don't even realize what is done for them. I never said make it against the law and I'm not talking about when you burn the flag to retire it. You can block me too. I think maybe you thought you were continuing an arguement you had with someone else

@PondartIncbendog I agree. I didnt think you were a flag. I've just been worried lately about people rioting. I don't want them to try to blow shit up.

Sorry … I didn’t even try.. 😉

Varn Level 8 July 19, 2020

Com, on, give it a shot.

@PondartIncbendog Read it ...for you. If far more concise, I see a possible letter to an editor in there, but the word limit would have to be high. There’s a theme.. but such a vanilla conclusion ..I’ve little to add. Sorry ~

I have mixed feelings about the Civil War re-enactors. My late father was into one of those groups, altho he was too old to do the battle theater stuff. He was definitely as racist as most white guys of his time, but I don't feel he was attracted to the Civil War group out of racism as he was just as interested in WWII history. Nowadays with BLM I feel embarrassed to tell people he was part of a Civil War group.

Yet GTA 5 is ok. Actually you can fly in that game now which is cool but people need to get outside and get exercise. How else do men feel comfortable playing dress up and doing dramatic play? Honestly a lot of bullying comes out of that group and people need to talk back. Just because I say black lives matter doesnt make me the queen of right and wrong or able to dictate how you live your life

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:516639
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.