Agnostic.com

2 0

Sustainability: What does it mean for you?

AstralSmoke 8 Nov 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The Iroquois, who had a lot of influence over the way our founding fathers set up the U.S. government, (however, not enough in my opinion), tended to make decision in terms of how it might affect them seven generations down the road. In recent times the closest we cone to this is "environmental impact studies". Of course that is a relatively recent thing though. Most ctions taken in the U.S. have been interms of gaining immediate profits with no regard to how it will affect future generations.

I think if hte human species is to survie and not end up in some futuristic wasteland as depicted by many science fiction writers, we need to adapt a more long term view in terms of how our actions today affect future generations more than two hundred years from now.

The problem is that there are way too many people who simply don't care wha tthigns will be like when they themselves are no longer around. Their selfishness today may lead to hyuman extinction down the road.

The question is, do we want to build a better future and maintain a healthy planet as a place to live, or do we want to create one of those horrific futures tht so many science fiction writers have envisioned and perhps end up with a total extinction of human altogether?

the seven generation concept sums it up for me too

I live in a housing complex inside a park. All appliances have to be 5 star. Heating is from the waste steam from a nearby natural gas electric plant. Heating and cooling per person is maybe 10% of the national average. We have three nearby regular farmers' markets, including one inside our park. Many people here walk to work, I commute by bike as do many others. We also have a subway stop and five bus stops. We do composting and textile recycling. None of this is hardship, by the way. We have a rent stabilized lease, but new people pay crazy stupid money to live here. If everyone lived like this, there would be no global warming or resource wars.

The "like" button is not working properly. I like and respect your 'living conditions'. Wish we all could live in a more sustainable manner. People don't even think about it though. If you were to ask my neighbors, for instance, to live a month without their cars, they'd think I was off my rocker.

Andygee, we should all be living like you. That might give the world a chance . . . Where do you live?

@Hope4zoe We live in Stuyvesant Town, east side of Manhattan, 25,000 people. There's a bigger complex like this, Parkchester, 100,000 people in the Bronx. Stuy Town was in the news nine years ago as the world's biggest residential real estate deal to ever go bust. The owners wanted to sell; the tenants association made an offer of 4.6 billion structured, the owner (Met Life, by the way) held out for $5.2 billion cash, then the real estate market crashed and our little park dropped in value to 1.8 billion. Oddly enough, and ironically for this group, the business plan of the purchasing group was to kick out as many of us as legally possible and triple the rents; with full knowledge of that business plan, one of the big loser investors was the Church of England. They lost $75 million dollars worth of Peter's Pence. So the next time someone tells you about the operating authority of Christianity being apostolic succession, just ask if any apostles were in as much favor of evicting people as Anglican Communion Bishops.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5167
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.