Agnostic.com

8 3

By what mechanisms does a nation that is sliding into fascism recover its democratic footing, other than simply voting the jackass out? We know he’s not the cause of our backward slide - he’s just the vulture feasting on the rotting carcass. Screaming on FaceBook every hour of the day won’t do it. What will?

skado 9 July 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There is no solution as being discussed here. The system itself is flawed.

The situation is like a crackpot inventor who built a flying contraption not based on the laws of aerodynamic, pushed it off a cliff and thinks that the solution is to pedal harder.

The craft is never going to fly no matter how much you pedal and it's time to abandon it and do something else.

Yes, we need a revolution. A revolution not of arms, but of thinking.

Read Ishmael by Daniel Quinn. While you're at it, read Beyond Civilization, also by Quinn.

We're done. We have too many ignorant to restore the intelligence of the USA. They are proud of their ignorance. Sorry.

We’re fucked… I rarely admit that, but your candid assessment prompted me.. I’d say we lost it with Reagan & Republican’s repeal of The Fairness Doctrine. It allowed an ‘anything goes’ attitude on the airwaves, and the aggressors went ugly fast. So, they own segments of the airwaves that feed the ignorant what they want to hear … and in the process, create more..

The Citizens United decision is a close second, allowing unlimited once ‘dark money’ into politics. Money had been a little harder to legitimately come by prior to that. Now, Industry and Billionaires can pour in all they want - and have. They’ve no tax liabilities or regulations, so no doubt a ‘wonderful investment’ in their eyes..

What should be done probably can’t be done... We need to collectively recognize evil, then act long-term to suppress it. Problem is, Evil has our money, resources, media outlets, and our Supreme Court. When things have gotten real ugly, as with the last of bush jr’s fuckups, the nation did the right thing. But, with the resources described above, Evil spent big, instantly campaigning against the party that gave us a path to single-payer healthcare, took out the majority in both houses of congress - and shut down a two term president who’d have progressed us to the moon had he given the chance…

We can’t stay the course. Sure, trump’s gone, and perhaps the republican senate too, but for how long? With money, Evil is always several steps ahead ..and no doubt already laying the groundwork for ‘their comeback.’ They’ll easily split the left, keep the left & right at each other's throats, regain one or both houses of congress ...slide in a republican prez.. Give themselves even more power and fewer responsibilities ..and maybe another supreme court justice or two…

Some want a Revolution. Those with more to lose want stability and progress. Will ‘American’s’ - after taking such a beating as we are/ have - have the sense or intelligence to never elect another Republican again, or allow Republican money to do as described above? I don’t think we’ve got it in us.. But, am willing to ‘give us’ the opportunity 😕

Varn Level 8 July 22, 2020

We have not reached that point by a long shot. We were able to retake the house and the senate is close. There are still lots of options. remember this is all controlled by one POS person. A person who is on the edge of a total breakdown, mentally and physicaly. His enablers are slowly crumbling and turning coats.

I personally don't believe in forcing people to vote. When it becomes an obligation people are more inclined to vote unconsciously. Our system has worked so far until just recently. it is not the voters that are the problem but the candidates and politicians who find ways to corrupt the system.

Compulsory voting might help.

Or at least ranked choice voting

Tax credit to voters?

@PondartIncbendog Tax credits or other incentives.

It's not just right-wing fascists and anarchists, there are also plenty of absolutist, anti-democratic forces on the left-wing side as well.
I'm leftist, but some of the talk on here is almost as scary as anything on the right, about violent revolution and such.
That said,
I think the right-wing 'Q' movement is much more unsettling, in that they are much better organized...I think Trump has unleashed something truly frightening.

General strike, mass civil disobedience, and if all else fails, revolution.

All good, but all require mass agreement, and we don’t have that yet. Meanwhile, what can individuals do?

@skado

We can do what we have been doing, talking to others and helping them to understand.

We can hit the streets but that's tricky because of the virus.

We can support leaders who are outside of the two party duopoly.

And, unfortunately, I think more of us will need to be martyred like George Floyd.

Maybe I should ask, what do you think it will take to motivate a mass movement that hasn’t happened already? We clearly have a lawless authoritarian president running roughshod over the constitution, and all the citizens are worried about is somebody asking them to wear a mask. What will it take?

@skado

For those who aren't yet angry about it, it's because they are complacent and don't believe this effects them.

It will take a major, negative shift in their lives, such as, losing their housing, job, healthcare... They will need to experience some suffering or be in close proximity to suffering of friends, family, and neighbors. And they will need someone there to direct the resulting anger, to explain that it's because of the leaders that this is happening. Otherwise, that anger will push them in a dangerous direction.

Other than armed uprising, which would play into this "hypothetical" fascist government's hands. Voting them out would be the only viable option.

barjoe Level 9 July 21, 2020
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:517499
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.