Agnostic.com

6 8

Mountain Goats transferred from Olympic Mountains to North Cascades

"In 20, a mountain goat in Olympic National Park gored a 63-year- hiker and severed an artery. Then the goat stood over the bleeding man and prevented rescuers from tending to the injury. It proved fatal."

The tragic, rare goat attack helped rekindle a dormant battle over the Olympic Peninsula mountain goats. Mountain goats are non-native. They were introduced to Olympic National Park in the 1920s by hunters. Their numbers swelled from to over 1,000 by the 1980s.

Goats moved to the North Cascades will boost a population diminished by years of overhunting, biologists say.

Attracted to hiker's sweat

"Mountain goats follow and approach hikers because they are attracted to the salt from their sweat, urine, and food. “The north Cascades is a vast landscape, that is less population-dense than Olympic National Park,” said Will Moore, a WDFW wildlife manager who specializes in mountain goats."

“We also know that the North Cascades have natural salt licks, that mountain goats depend on,” added Moore. “Because of this, they won’t rely as much on humans to provide their salt fix.”

[seattletimes.com]

[wdfw.wa.gov]

LiterateHiker 9 July 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am so sorry to hear that someone got hurt .

@vegan66

"It proved fatal" means he died.

I overlook that you said it was fatal . I knew what it means .

Certainly an ambitious plan

I am surprised that they did that, moved them. Usually in the US they just send in shooters.

That’s an impressive goat there. I hope the project proves successful

I'm not sure what's going on. Are they moving goats from olympic mountains where they're not native to the cascades where they're not native just so they can hunt them?

@Cyklone, @hankster, @BudFrank, @Jolanta

Mountain goats are native to the North Cascade Mountains. Hunting is not allowed at North Cascades National Park.

The Olympic Mountains are compressed on a peninsula where ocean meets the mountains. Up! Down! Up! Down! Hard on hikers.

Photo: Olympic Mountains from the summit of Mt. Townsend.

Ok. Now I understand.

tote the goat.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:517978
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.