Agnostic.com

2 0

Are parody songs written by an algorithm fair use or a copyright violation ? Why/not ?

The Record Industry Is Going After Parody Songs Written By an Algorithm

Songs written by 'Weird A.I. Yankovic' are getting flagged for violating copyright. Its creator says they should be protected by Fair Use.

[vice.com]

FearlessFly 9 July 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Seems like it should be a case by case basis, but the biggest difference to me (if I were the one that was going to be deciding) is the fact that Weird Al records the music he's parodying, Weird A.I. does not. To me, it's a cheap knock off that can be done rapidly and incessantly. What if this A.I. made a parody with the original music and the lyrics were different, but largely indistinguishable from the original? Is that still fair game?

Well, what he does is parody cover versions. So it depends on the band/artist to decide whether to charge or not for the use of intellectual property.

. . . don't think it is "up to the band", the lawsuit is initiated by the "International Federation of the Phonographic Industry, which represents major and independent record companies."

@FearlessFly, in principle, should be the bands/artists. However, I'm not surprised to hear that it's the institution you mentioned starting it. The artists usually are quite easy going on these matters.

@Paddypereira . . . oh sure, an artist would never complain about THREE NOTES :

[en.wikipedia.org]

@Paddypereira most musical artists historically are not copyright holders . . .
[bbc.com]

[99designs.com]

[rollingstone.com]

@FearlessFly, most of the times, yes, part of deals with record companies. For instance, Metallica try hard to stop music downloads and bootlegs. Dream Theatre, when they see for sale a bootleg from one of their shows they are the first to buy and don't care much about the rest. So, it depends on their perspective.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:518135
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.