Agnostic.com

5 4

Here are 2 links about the craziness that happens in my area. I avoid local news for just this reason. I thought it would be interesting to listen to both sides.

[taskandpurpose.com]

Lorajay 9 July 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

@AnonySchmoose Thank you for blocking me. I want no exposure to someone who draws conclusions contrary to fact.

Crazy shit, cops there have a sense of entitlement

bobwjr Level 10 July 25, 2020

The abuse-of-power attitude of that police needs to be a major concern for citizens.
I wonder if they can bring another type of lawsuit against him to expel him from their neighborhood and hopefully barred from every police force too. It is frightening how many police are like that, and how often they do it. Many Americans cannot feel safe at home anymore. America's police forces need major overhauls. Police should be examined for mental health.

Did you read the article?

@LovinLarge
Yes, I read the article. I admit Chris Ledbetter had major weaponry and published his willingness to use it in a civil war. We are not too far from that right now in Portland and other cities. Except the BLM protesters are peaceful and not using weapons. I think he has a mental health issue and should be treated for that by the VA, and perhaps should be in a psychiatric hospital until his ideation about weaponry changes. I don't think it would be constructive to put him in jail with violent people. It's good that the policeman that threatened the family was punished by being fired. A restraining order was not too much for the family to ask either.

@AnonySchmoose As I understand the old man's account, which may or may not be accurate, the Restraining Order was dismissed by a judge so apparently the evidence does not support your position, at least in the eyes of the judge who heard the evidence.

Also, calling for someone to be expelled from their home? That is unheard of and I hope our society never sinks to that level of barbarism.

@LovinLarge
IMO, the judge's dismissal may indicate that she/he is biased for police regardless of what they do, and biased against citizenry whose privacy and rights were infringed upon by a police officer. I remember police recently killed a woman in her home from outside. They didn't even present a search warrant, and she was not involved in anything criminal or illegal. Judges and police OFTEN do anything they feel like doing to citizens and are not held accountable. They are not to be assumed to be our friends every situation. IMO, protection of a police officer who made a threat of violence should never be excused by a judge, nor should his use of another citizen's garbage bin, IMO.

@AnonySchmoose Absent a legitimate reason not to do so, I will side with a judge who heard the evidence over a civilian who did not.

"Judges and police can do anything they feel like doing to citizens and not be held accountable."

While we know that happens in some instances, probably more than we know, as a blanket generalization that is false because there are processes in place to establish accountability.

@AnonySchmoose I see you have edited your comment since I responded to it. My comment stands but now I add this: You are assuming that you know what really happened and what evidence was before the judge solely on the basis of a one-sided account. You don't. Neither do I, that's why I am in no position to take a side other than the judge's who heard the evidence.

@LovinLarge that cop got caught doing something he knew he shouldn't be. putting his trash in those other people's dumpster. and he just got puffed up when they caught him. he ain't right. if he can't behave any better than that he sure as hell don't need to be a police officer. the judge is too sympathetic to the cops.

@hankster Upon what evidence did you arrive at that conclusion?

@LovinLarge sense.

@hankster It's not sense if it's not based upon facts.

@hankster, @Bierbasstard A legitimate court ruling can only he made upon the facts in evidence. If either side has reason to believe that the judge has erred in fact or law, there are levels of appeal to pursue.

It's not prudent to fault one side when you've only heard the other side's account.

@LovinLarge I know you're right on this from a legal point of view. maybe even a fair point of view. but I don't like it. I think the judge was wrong in not granting some kind of a restraining order or something like that. if what the man in the video says is correct and that officer offered any kind of threat, the judge should have considered that enough cause to Grant a restraining order. people don't just ask for things like that and must have a reason generally. that officer shouldn't be in them peoples business or their dumpster. why couldn't the judge grant the request while everyone was getting their story straight?

This will not be the last we hear of Christopher Ledbetter.

Just like Donald Trump. Instead of enforcing the law, he can be immune to the law. He is God. You either let him do what he wants or you'd have to kill him.

barjoe Level 9 July 25, 2020
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:518680
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.