Agnostic.com

9 4

It never ceases to cause me to wonder WHY it is that so many of our coloured skinned Brethren to this day seem to cling to and embrace the very Belief System/s that imposed Slavery upon their Forebears.
Would you not, logically, look back at the past atrocities, etc, remember them and immediately turn you back upon them?

Triphid 9 July 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't like the expression "I don't see color". That's like saying "I don't see blonde hair". I hope for the day when we see color and embrace it as just another human characteristic, not something that separates us.

Have always wondered the same. You don’t like whites, yet embrace their god/s? Seems further confirmation of weakness, both social, political, and educational. Some have begun to toss their slave names, perhaps their next step will be to toss their slave religion..

Varn Level 8 July 26, 2020

When people have nothing and their lives miserable they look to a better future. This is one thing that kept a lot of slaves going. Now it has become a part of their tradition. Thing is, not a lot has changed for the better for many of them. Sometimes it takes a good life to advance (Maslov's hierarchy) and get rid of religion.

Take any group of human beings and treat them like cattle for four hundred years, and you will have a deeply religious community, no indoctrination required. A belief in a better life to come can be all a person has to keep them going in a lifetime of oppression. To suggest that they are, what, not smart enough, to escape their indoctrination, is to assume they now live as full equals, and people aren't rioting in the streets as we speak to try to keep them from being killed because of their color.

skado Level 9 July 25, 2020

Yes but still these who are rioting over 'Black Lives Matter,' etc, are most likely the same ones who are followers of the very same religious belief systems that imposed slavery upon their ancestors in the first place.
I totally agree that ALL lives matter and the present atitudes in the U.S. must change BUT still adhering to the Beliefs that caused the present troubles will NOT remove/alter anything at all imo.

WTF are "coloured skinned brethren"? Who talks like that? Say it the way you really think.

barjoe Level 9 July 25, 2020

FYI, I WAS trying NOT be seen as being Racist and since we ARE all of the same race/species, i.e. Homo Sapien, then are we not all bretren of that race/species?

@Triphid I don't know if you're in the United States. We don't used the term colored. In SA the term colored is somewhat acceptable to refer to mixed race. In the states it's one step below the "N" word.

@barjoe Then PLEASE forgive me IF, at times, I am wee bit too on the 'technical' side for you.

Which term would you prefer? The acceptability and politeness of such terms has evolved; many lose track of what is currently preferred.

@AmyTheBruce +50 years

@Bierbasstard Yep and since I, literally, have the genes of numerous, very numerous in fact, different nations and peoples within me then I can safely and openly say that I am by no means racist, etc, etc, and that I respect and honour ALL of my Predecessors/Ancestors.

@Triphid "Technical" Gotcha. I get what your point is. Why are black people Christians when it was Christianity that enslaved them? It doesn't make sense for white people to be Christians either. The church is very strong amongst blacks and the Civil Rights movement has roots in AME Church. Black people in the states are the strongest believers. Sorry for being presumptuous, your wordage threw me. Forgive me.

@barjoe As the saying goes, " To Err is to be Human, to Forgive is to be Divine," since I AM only but a mere human also shall I forgive you but do not think that I am divine by doing so please.

@Triphid Bible passage. One of the good ones. I guess.

@barjoe Not 100% certain where exactly that came from.
I seem to remember somehow that I heard it many, many moons ago in English Literature Classes way back in my High School days rather than something from my years of studying for my ThD.
I suppose, as seems the usual manner, it will suddenly come to me one night whilst I'm trying to go to sleep but my brain wants, as it always seems, to keep on working.

@Triphid I thought it was biblical. It's from Alexander Pope 1711 An Essay on Criticism The passage reads:

Ah ne'er so dire a Thirst of Glory boast,
Nor in the Critick let the Man be lost!
Good-Nature and Good-Sense must ever join;
To err is Humane; to Forgive, Divine.

You are correct sir

@barjoe Thank you now I won't be having my mind running wild trying to remember where or who it came from, hopefully.

Exactly. We have aboriginal people here who were taken from their families & put into catholic residential schools, but they are still catholic....I just don't get it.

And yet I know of, personally, at least dozens, if not more, Australian Aboriginal families who completely turned their backs on those very same belief systems.

@Triphid Glad to hear that.

They might be trying to "fit in. "

Why indeed? I dare not ask the question, lest I face accusations of racism, but I do wonder. I also wonder why religion is so strong in women.

"lest I face accusations of racism" I'm accusing you.

@barjoe Dammit, really? Okay, lay it on me.

@AmyTheBruce When someone says some of their best friend are black, they usually have none. When someone fears being accused of racism, many times it's because the are.

@barjoe That's not what I've noticed. What I've seen is more subtle.

When someone says some of their best friends are black, it usually means that they have one or two black friends, and they aren't besties - but they get along okay.

When someone fears being accused of racism, it could mean that they are - but it could also mean that they realize they are in a politically charged environment.

@AmyTheBruce Yes it could.

@barjoe Well, I do have numerous friends, black, white, yellow and those of as mixed ethnicities as am I and could, should I so wish, name at least a dozen or more like myself as well.
Ergo we are NOT racists by any definition you wish utilize or throw at us, we consider ourselves to be openly and honestly Human Beings and ALL Members of the same Species.

@Triphid @AmyTheBruce I realize that neither of you are prejudiced. I'm sorry for jumping to conclusions.

@barjoe No apology necessary! As far as that goes, I kinda thought that you were playing devil's advocate, or at least toying with the idea to provoke thought and discussion. And you succeeded at that, so much the better.

And you weren't exactly wrong in what may or may not have been an actual accusation. I probably do have unacknowledged prejudices - most of us do.

@AmyTheBruce No I was reading the OP with an American viewpoint. I was thinking the whole thread was racially insensitive. I was wrong. This time.

@barjoe Apology accepted.

There's dollar signs in those eyes. Survival, the old battle.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:518747
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.