Agnostic.com

10 10

LINK How to Convert a Christian to Atheism with Nicholi on Science - YouTube

I'm not sure if this has been posted before, it probably has. I don't care for the title much because it sounds like we should be out there trying to convert people and at least for me that's not my purpose. What I do like is the manner in which they suggest we talk to people if a discussion does arise.

BeeHappy 9 July 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Who wants to convert anybody to anything? You're just as bad as Christians if you care at ALL

Blocking of ethical stem cell research, tax money going to support religious institutions, abortion rights, right to make end of life decisions, teaching of our children misinformation in schools, violations of freedom of speech AND thought (it can be a slippery slope once a certain faction gains power beyond a certain threshold), lack of respect for evidence based policies - all of there are REASONS to care. And the video isn't promoting proselytizing from door to door. It's simply about strategies to break down the wall of resistance many of us have to changing an opinion. And who says Christians are all bad anyway?

@Rossy92 No comment on the latter, and in my dotage I'm a Stoic. It's apparently up to people like you to save the world.

@Rossy92 Absolutely agreed! Even if we don't want to convert xtians....we MUST keep them and their meddling out of the public arenas...science, education, etc.

Yeah right, and that actually works....LOL.

A person is not converted to Atheism. You have to break free from religion all on your own. All Atheism is, is a lack of belief of god or gods.

You're not wrong.

I lead by example. Most don't know until I tell them.

I like that.

@BeeHappy Sometimes it's fun to be Satan for the moment. 😉

Same applies to anyone trying to influence another person's thinking, such as a Christian trying to convert an atheist, or a Democrat trying to convert a Republican, etc., etc.

skado Level 9 July 28, 2020

Yep.

If they're like my sister, they will just say "I try not to think about it" when presented with evidence.

BUT...even changing your language will never change their mind. Only they can do that. My experience is that it takes a long time to change one's mind.

If you can weaken the conviction, plant a seed of doubt, or get them to consider a point they may never have even before been exposed to, I think that's worthwhile. And I think it's very possible to achieve.

@Rossy92 You are an optimist! Actually, I know what you mean...one little seed.....one little seed.....

@LucyLoohoo I would never call myself an optimist. But it doesn't require full blown deconversion to weaken the hold that religion has. Just a move from fundamentalist to moderate, or moderate to agnostic, could make a huge difference. Or perhaps I'm just foolish.

@Rossy92 I'd say more optimisic or perhaps you like thoughtful?

I am cool with anyone as long as they don't try to make me believe their bullshit.

Ditto!

Interesting, but there is no specific example of how to present evidence so that the Christian will see your point of view.

No, it's more the manner in which we talk to them, the content is up to you.

@BeeHappy I do not suffer fools gladly, and unfortunately it shows when God's Goons try to convert me.

Yeah, I never mess with people whose beliefs are working for them unless they're being assholes.

I've been talking with a devout mormon for over a year, he knew I read philosophy, history and I meditate.

He'd already started drinking a little, played poker.... it's tough to abandon decades of indoctrination. I was lucky to have several good friends help me through the process, now I try to help others who are struggling.

I agree!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:519458
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.