Agnostic.com

5 4

The Seattle journalist, Danny Westneat wrote a piece that puts a kabosh on all who think going to Canada might be a solution. A former local possible war with Canada (pig war) is also mentioned. Maybe the Canadians are seeing themselves as the actually winner of that fight. [seattletimes.com]

JackPedigo 9 July 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Not meaning to insult my American Friends...BUT...!!
We don't care about being Great...just GOOD!

Thank you. It has been said, and I believe, perfection gets in the way of good.

Yes, we don't need the US ignorance, & more of their uncontrolled virus brought here.

A good article Jack, many thanks for posting.

You are very welcome. I like this journalist and have written him numerous times letting him know my take on various subjects. Journalists, especially like him, get lots of hate mail and must appreciate someone giving him compliments or even a respectful disagreement..

I enjoyed the article, thank you, but with respect, war was not even implied by any of the Canadian actions or communications.

I’m not sure why you mention that “ war was not even implied by any of the Canadian actions or communications”. The writer simply wrote about the “pig war” to compare how Canadians have become prickly about Americans sneaking across their boarder.

@Redheadedgammy I mentioned it because of the last sentence in the OP's post.

@LovinLarge I guess you will have to explain what you are talking about. The last sentence says "especially as we so thoroughly deserve every word of it".

@Redheadedgammy Happy to explain and I probably should have done a better job of it in my original comment. I find two-way communication by text so limited.

The last sentence of his post says "(m)aybe the Canadians are seeing themselves as the actually winner of that fight". I read that sentence prospectively as if the border closing could start a war. But he may have meant it retrospectively about the Pig War, although the US took the San Juans by way of a diplomatic resolution so I think that is why I ruled out that interpretation.

I didn't realize my comment was ambiguous when I made it so thanks for the opportunity to clarify. I think these opportunities for interaction are important and I surely hope I did not offend the OP.

@LovinLarge Thank you for your clarification. Much appreciated as I always like to fully understand comments from others posting on the site.

@LovinLarge That was my reference. In the end they still got the Gulf Islands and got rid of the San Juan's. With our mentality for violence we would have constantly fought to take the islands back. Geographically they are part of the US just like Point Roberts (Bob).

@JackPedigo I seem to be misinterpreting text more and more frequently as my health deteriorates. It is very difficult to figure out how to cope with your mind not being what it once was. Anyway, this was an interesting issue you raised, I learned some things from it today.

@LovinLarge Glad I was able to help. Sorry to hear about the mind problem. This is one area I think we all dread.

Not just the Canada - Americans are banned from pretty much everywhere in the world.
Very sad state of affairs.

So much for being great. We're a great pain in the ass.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:519469
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.