Agnostic.com

28 26

I have read several articles recently which have bemoaned that as a result of COVID-19, the world may start to see a falling birthrate and how horrible that would be. I think a falling birthrate would be great. Less use of fossil fuels, less stress on the environment, less over crowding of the land. Many good things in my mind come out of a falling birthrate. I do not like all the illness and death that COVID-19 brings, but a falling birthrate would be a good thing for the planet and humanity.

creative51 8 July 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments (26 - 28)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Could save us

bobwjr Level 10 July 29, 2020

I also think it's a good thing (I'll also acknowledge that I'm part of the problem having birthed 4 tiny humans myself). The impact that humans have had on the planet truly is disastrous for it; if we all lived sustainably that would be one thing, but let's face it, as a society, we just don't!

This is something that would have happened anyway, as many of my peers are opting to not have kids at all, or are only having one or two. Statistically, I know I'm the outlier with 4, a number that would have been average or small just a few generations ago.

The "economic ramifications" thing doesn't scare me either. Our population has been on the decline my whole life, which I know that that's not necessarily the case for the generation my parents and grandparents were a part of. I've ALWAYS been told that there eventually won't be enough workers to fill the jobs of our current working generation... as a millennial, this isn't news to me, it's always been the reality for my generation. The gradual shrinking of a population will work itself out over time, it may require some social changes, or policy changes here or there, but my generation been preparing our whole lives for this and it will likely be small unnoticeable incremental changes over time.

Where did you hear our population has been on the decline your whole life? I'm assuming you're in your 30s. There was a population of about 226 million in 1980 that has grown to 332 million now.

@JeffMurray I'm 38. So, yes, all of the projected numbers had shown a reduction... as least as long as I can remember.

@BAMFRavenclaw do you mean if growth rate? Like our population is growing, but the amount that it is growing by isn't also growing? Because that's even had some upturns since the 80s.

What's the effect of migration on this number?

I would assume that during the lockdown people were conceiving babies like rabbits.

barjoe Level 9 July 29, 2020

You'd think so, because of proximity and free time, right? But the lockdown has had some serious economic consequences. Historically, people have bred less in times of economic hardship.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:519818
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.