Agnostic.com

10 8

hmmm...my dr. thinks it was very likely i had the covid. I got pretty sick towards the end of January I spent the first half of February in the hospital. they weren't testing or talkin about it then. I headed home right about the time it became a news item. it was really a strange illness, whatever was wrong with me. it wasn't anything like the flu. I wonder if I should get some kind of antibody test.

hankster 9 July 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm sorry to hear you were sick and I wondered at the time where you were. I hope you have recovered well and are feeling yourself now. I don't know much about the antibody test but it looks like you have received a lot of good advice. Stay safe!

No Doubt , a lot of very thoughtful people around here. thank you all.

I think it's likely you did, too, but I lean to the same thinking as @Leontion and @Amzungu about antibody testing, particularly the risk part. Is there a reason you'd be inclined to get tested, other than confirmation/curiosity?

Lauren Level 8 July 30, 2020

just that. just won't know. kinda used to that. yet, it is still a curious thing.

@hankster I can understand that. Perhaps in time there will be a more definitive test available. I suspect there will be. In the interim, I hope you aren't bothered with any residual ailments, and stay safe.

@Lauren things just ain't exactly like they were but most things seem okay. I just go a little slower. I was always kind of good at that anyway.

I keep watching the news for the start of this epidemic as I was really sick, as was another of the people I work with. Took weeks to get better and I did not really start to feel better until about a month ago. But this was back at the beginning of December, It had the symptoms of Covid. I did not spend time in the hospital but I thought about it.

I didn't have much choice about the hospital stay. my system was kind of shutting down on me.

Kate goes to the local hospital every month for therapy. I was with her this last time and got to talking with one of the nurses who track what is going on in the community as far as contagious conditions go. I told her about my sickness in the first part of December and she said that there was a bad case of the flu going around. I had flu shots and still felt like shit for three weeks. Just thought I would answer my own concerns.

Be careful dude

bobwjr Level 10 July 29, 2020

I wouldn't recommend it if it is going to cost you. They are finding that antibodies diminish in a few months, and it really won't give you any useful information either way. There is no evidence of long term lasting immunity in antibody studies so far, so it's not going to give you peace of mind that you are now immune, and if that much time has passed, you may not register antibodies to even tell you that you definitively had it or not.

right on. I was kind of thinking along these lines.

@hankster Some places are offering it for free. If you can land that gig, I say go for it and satiate your curiosity. But if it's coming out of your pocket, I'd pass.

Did you have recurring fevers? On alternating days? That was my number 1 symptom.

that's what led me to believe I didn't have it for so long. I don't recall ever having any fever, only the slightest of headaches occasionally, I never did lose my appetite. they said I had pneumonia and flu B. I remember breathing was a big issue. I was very weak. just weird.

@hankster They have found that there are like 6 sets of symptoms and one maybe two of them do not have fever as a symptom.

@BeeHappy I had not heard about this , interesting.

@hankster here's the article.
[usnews.com]

@BeeHappy thanks!

I got an antibody test because I was sick in March before NY shut down. It was negative. Up to you Hank-if you have antibodies you could donate plasma and save someone's life. Thats why I did it Hank.

yeah, why not

skado Level 9 July 29, 2020

I would

I would strongly advise a test.

Petter Level 9 July 29, 2020
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:519858
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.