Agnostic.com

4 1

Do you (honestly) rely on social media for News ?

Americans Who Mainly Get Their News on Social Media Are Less Engaged, Less Knowledgeable

Those who rely on social media for news are less likely to get the facts right about the coronavirus and politics and more likely to hear some unproven claims

[journalism.org]

[journalism.org]

[techcrunch.com]

FearlessFly 9 July 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I do not rely on social media for news. I admit I am sometimes alerted to news by social media. I then seek out the actual news from a reliable source.

. . . they know everything about you, how do you (or anyone on social media) know you aren't getting only your 'confirmation bias' news ?

@FearlessFly I am quite certain that I am. Prior to Nov 2016, that would have bothered me. Now I’m good with it.

@Reason-Able That's honest, but I think antithetical to Critical Thinking.
I try to get news from as many (verifiable/credible) sources as possible.

@FearlessFly I do too. Read my original comment.

Not at all.

Social media, or individual subscribers who use social media? Facebook 'friends' can behave like local gossips, while a legitimate source that might have a Facebook page may, in fact, provide useful information. I personally don't use Twitter.

Isn't FB renowned for years for the plethora of "fake news", and their inaction/inability to curb it (assuming they actually wanted to) ?

@FearlessFly I don't know enough about Facebook to offer an opinion, as I don't engage in this platform. But to accuse Facebook fo "fake news" seems to me to be off the mark, as they were never established to be a news organization. I see Facebook much like a bulletin board in a local public space, where ideas abound and ads for services run rampant.

@p-nullifidian I agree, that like aol,yahoo,apple-news, FB is not a news organization.

Because they know everything about users, the 'news feed' the users get is tailored (confirmation biased) to get the most views, thereby insuring the most profits and a disincentive to desist.

I rely on facebook for most of my news because I like & follow my favorite news sources on fb so the latest news is always on my news/web feed. If you curate it properly, facebook can operate to inform you about the important events occurring in the world from day to day.

Yes and no. I have many news links on my FB, two state papers, NPR, and some other trusted news sources. Only social media I use.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:520205
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.