Agnostic.com

6 2

How much profile is too much?

I'm on several 'dating sites' and I tend to fill out everything I can on my profile(s), often with a moderate lengthly bio.
But I've been thinking that might be too much; the only messages I EVER get are scammers--to the point of why do I even bother.
I'm all about being open (probably to a fault), but perhaps it's also helping any possible prospects (along with scammers...not that they read profiles) form a specific image of my personality...one of course that is NOT accurate to my actual personality (no amount of words can accurately do that).

Xenokat 4 July 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think that most readers are scrolling through a series of profiles, and the written part of the profile is the last thing they see. Don't make it difficult for them. You have just a couple of sentences to make them interested enough to read the rest.

It may depend on what you want, expect, or how much info you feel free to share ..with potential problems. Wasn’t long here before shortening my intro stuff by around ⅔’s … I talk too much, as well.

TMI can, or appear to show a lack of confidence. Even if it’s only ‘letting them know what to expect,’ that may be to avoid the pain of rejection later. If you participate around here, you become a known quantity PDQ… Be yourself, cuz a r/s of playing someone else isn’t fair or sustainable.

Varn Level 8 July 31, 2020

Everybody gets scammers all the time, nothing whatsoever to do with what you write because they do not read one word of it, as you can easily test for yourself by asking specific questions...in fact, they do not even read their own "profile", also easily checked. Just yesterday I had an interchange with a guy who listed "dog rescue" as his first interest, and when I mentioned i had just adopted my 5th rescue, he asked me why was I telling him that.....!!!!! Block time!

I like when people complete all the fields. But I think profiles (the write-in part) can be over-long.

You can say so much that people think they’re not a match when they might actually be. The more someone reads in a profile, the more chances they have to say “not for me.”

The profile should be an appetizer, and the date should be the entree. You want to pique enough interest for a date and give enough general facts to show basic commonality. The date will help you decide whether to move forward ... and to see if there’s chemistry.

Lastly, people sometimes fall for someone they’ve met even if they’re not a perfect match on paper. Don’t rely too much on the profile. Rely on the in-person connection and interaction.

Whelp, that’s my 2¢. 🙂

Totally true....and mostly I communicated with were women who never wanted to meet

@twill I’ve heard that’s a thing! I have no idea why someone would go on a dating site without the intention to meet. Maybe they’re attention seeking? Whatever the reason, it’s rude and selfish.

I think you are the best judge. Do what you're most comfortable with. Trust yourself. But I wonder if you are trying too hard. I like to let things take their natural course.

??? don't know, but maybe overdone? sounds like some details. gotta have something to talk about later, don't you?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:520244
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.