Agnostic.com

1 1

Do (should) we have a "right to be forgotten" ? why/not ?

Google victory in German top court over right to be forgotten

A German court has sided with Google and rejected requests to wipe entries from search results. The cases hinged on whether the right to be forgotten outweighed the public's right to know.

[dw.com]

FearlessFly 9 Aug 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm not an attorney but...as long as the information is available anywhere on media...why deny it to Google?

. . . one argument is, it historically was not easy to obtain some of the info.

It was NOT digitized -- available now at our 'fingertips'. The idea is that the info is still there, just not so widely (and instantaneously) available (so not actually forgotten).

@FearlessFly If google can find it....doesn't that mean it's within the public realm?

@LucyLoohoo Google is a private advertising company, not equivalent to the 'public' realm.

. . .but the 'public realm' IS what I was referring to by "not easy to obtain some of the info". Meaning it historically meant needing to go to the courthouse, library, newspaper clippings, etc.

@FearlessFly I think we're making the same point. If google chooses to make information available, rather than digging through archives, etc, so they can display it with advertising, can they restrict that information based on ''privacy?"

@LucyLoohoo [gdpr-info.eu]

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:520706
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.