Agnostic.com

6 2

OK, here's an appropriate follow-up to my last solution to the world's problems. I live in Bradenton Fl and we have a major avenue called "Cortez". Much of Florida is named after the conquistadors, almost all religious fanatics including Christopher Columbus. Juan Pizarro and his brothers committed unspeakable atrocities against the Incas of Peru and were sending gold back to the mother country by the galleon load.

Let's at least take these reverent remembrances away in the same way minority groups want to eliminate Confederate flags and statues of Southern generals like R.E. Lee, whose father signed the Declaration of Independence. As I mentioned in a previous post, St. Dominic was a unconscionable monster and we have the Dominican Republic, the island of Dominica and Dominican monasteries dedicated to his reverent memory.

The Conquistadors are even responsible for being the slaves here in the 1550s with the rationalization that if we enslave them we can put them to good use and save the souls of these half-naked children of the devil.

Aristippus 6 Aug 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You probably meant Francisco Pizarro. Juan was the youngest of the Pizarro brothers and died a year after the foundation of Lima in the city of Cuzco. The older brothers Hernando and Gonzalo achieved prominence in what is now Chile.

Thanks, but what do you mean "achieved prominence"?

@Aristippus here, read: [thoughtco.com]

Minority groups want Confederate flags removed?!

Those people killed Americans to protect , everyone not a racist simpleton wants that traitorous crap pulled down.

George Washington was a slave-holder. Would you like to get rid of all references to him, too? Let's be sensible - eliminating the injustices of today should take precedence over hand-wringing over those of long-ago.

He was not an enemy combatant. He died the year Lincoln was born. He was a progressive for his time. He believed in the rule of law. George Washington was one of our great presidents. He was a patriot not like traitors who took up arms against our country. Robert E Lee was a traitor and should've been brought up on charges of treason as should Jefferson Davis. That was the big mistake Lincoln and Grant made. To equate Washington with Confederates is ridiculous.

If you read my post properly you will find no mention of the Confederacy. If you are bent on being argumentative you should at least start with something I've put my name to.

Maybe it is safer to name places after Disney Characters??????

There are problems with Disney's quasi-fascism too:-
"Disney also personally hosted Nazi filmmaker Leni Riefenstahl when she came to promote her film Olympia in 1938, a month after the infamous assault on Jews known as Kristallnacht. Disney gave the propagandist a grand tour of his studio, and Riefenstahl even commented that it was “gratifying to learn how thoroughly proper Americans distance themselves from the smear campaigns of the Jews.” "

@Gareth You are right....so lets go back to naming places after trees and plants.....I love "Maple Street."

I have a great idea. Let's name some streets with the name Escobar from the local Medellín son.
I say that as a joke of course. But by it I mean to say, don't just point fingers of people from the past at everything bad they did, and assume that everyone from where they came from is the same. And don't just assume that everyone from an oppressed country is the same as well.

I believe there should be plaques that explain who these people were and the atrocities they committed. That being said we have to judge people by the times they lived in. Confederates took up arms against our nation. We shouldn't have the flag of enemies fly. Monuments to traitors on public land should be removed. If you feel strongly you could attempt to get these streets renamed.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:520964
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.