Agnostic.com

6 2

Is Aljazeera popular in the united states? From all the news reports I have read, it is not honest at all. Is it still banned?

#USA
AravindAjith 6 Aug 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As far as I know one can still get to it. It was one of the better news sources for a time. It has been some time since I have looked so I do not want to say.

MEDIA BIAS /FACT CHECK.COM
These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.

Overall, we rate Al Jazeera Left-Center biased, based on story selection that slightly favors the left and Mixed for factual reporting due to failed fact checks that were not corrected and misleading extreme editorial bias that favors Qatar.

Detailed Report
Factual Reporting: MIXED
World Press Freedom Rank: Qatar 125/180

History

Founded in 1996, Al Jazeera is an international news network which is owned by the state of Qatar through the Qatar Media Corporation. It is headquartered in Doha, Qatar. You can view their history timeline here and see Al Jazeera America’s leadership here. Dr. Mostefa Souag is currently Acting Director General of the Al Jazeera Media Network.

Funded by / Ownership

Al Jazeera is owned and funded by the state of Qatar. The founder and Chairman of the Board is Sheikh Hamad bin Thamer Al Thani, who is a member of Qatar’s ruling family, the House of Thani. According to a Reuters article, in 2016, state-funded broadcaster Al Jazeera laid off 500 workers due to Qatar’s financial troubles as a result of low global prices for oil and natural gas. Al Jazeera generates revenue through advertising.

Analysis / Bias

In review, Al Jazeera reports news with minimally loaded wording in their headlines and articles such as this: UN approves team to monitor ceasefire in Yemen’s port city and Erdogan delays Syria operation, welcomes US troop withdrawal. Both of these articles are properly sourced to credible news agencies. When reporting USA news there is again minimal bias in reporting such as this: Pentagon chief Mattis quits, cites policy differences with Trump. In general, straight news reporting has minimal bias, however as a state funded news agency, Al Jazeera is typically not critical of Qatar.

Al Jazeera also has an opinion page that exhibits significant bias against Israel. In this article the author uses highly negative emotional words as evidenced by this quote: “Europe is increasingly sharing Israel’s racist approach to border security and adopting its deadly technologies.” This article however, is properly sourced to credible media outlets. Another article “How many more ways can Israel sentence Palestinians to death?” also uses loaded language that is negative toward Israel. Further, the opinion page does not have a favorable opinion of US President Donald Trump through this article: ‘Barbed wire-plus‘: Borders know no love. In general, opinion pieces are routinely biased against Israel and right wing ideologies.

A factual search reveals Al Jazeera has failed a few fact checks.

FAKE ALERT: Photo of refugees moving from Amritsar to Lahore – FALSE
No, murder rate for women in South Africa hasn’t spiked by 117% – FALSE
Overall, we rate Al Jazeera Left-Center biased, based on story selection that slightly favors the left and Mixed for factual reporting due to failed fact checks that were not corrected and misleading extreme editorial bias that favors Qatar. (5/15/2016) Updated (M. Huitsing 08/14/2019) Source: [aljazeera.com]

[mediabiasfactcheck.com]

Thank you.

We get it in the UK and it is often very good. It is important if you can to view as many news media as possible, always especially take the time to view the ones you don't agree with is my attitude. So I do RT, Aljazeera, BBC , ITV, Sky, and just now and then the US ones.

I don't see how RT is at-all credible, Putins' 'mouthpiece' has NO (russian) opposition.

I use to advocate NewsGuard (journalists judging journalism), but they are subscription-based now.

So many posts here have FB "tracking crapola". IMO, that is the epitome of "fake news" and confirmation bias tailored to everything FB has gathered about each 'user'.

I'm dubious that individuals' fact research every article.

A variety of sources, yes, but what objective criteria used to judge credibility ?

@FearlessFly IT is not at all credible on most things, (a few) that is exactly why I watch it. In some ways it is very sad, because I have been watching it a long time, even into the pre Putin era, when it was quite credible and its slow decay is very sad to watch.

. . . journalism doesn't get 'banned' (by the government) in the US 😛

Its never been banned. It's got an American outlet which is actually pretty good. Maybe they should go by another name, some people don't give them a chance.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:520974
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.