Agnostic.com

3 2

Humanity

Can humans survive into the future? Another century? Or will we destroy ourselves?

Cosmos87 2 Aug 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Almost impossible to say, we have a good capacity for surviving, it is hard to imagine a disaster so bad that some few humans would not crawl out of a cave somewhere in a mountain valley, and start over, without that disaster being so bad that it destroyed almost all multicellular life. On the other hand, that which we call advanced civilization could be very fragile.

So that perhaps a better, pair, of questions would be. Can civilization survive into the future? And. Can the biosphere as a whole, excepting perhaps bacterial life, survive into the future?

( One irony is of course, that one of the things which could really save us and civilization, may well be a major disaster, say a disease like the current virus, but much more damaging, which would relieve the world of say 99% of our population. Given that we have used up so many of the worlds resources, recovery would be slow, perhaps slow and measured enough to save us from making the same mistakes again. But that I think is a dream, not likely to happen. )

Survive? Yes. Survive with any semblance of humanity? Not looking so good for that.

@Cosmos87 Agreed. It's especially difficult to envision when we seem to be heading in all the wrong directions. Maybe a generation that is homeschooled by day drinkers will be the ones who change the world. 😉 Stranger things have happened. But I fear our generation is going to have a rough ride down the hill.

I know of no (credible) "crystal ball" 😛

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:521923
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.