Agnostic.com

10 10

Outdoor Yoga vs. Mosquitoes

For the last month, I have been attending a yoga class in a park on the bank of the Columbia River from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. We are shaded by cottonwood trees. Socially distance.

It is beautiful to gaze up into the trees swaying in the wind, leaves glittering in the sun.

Upside-down in a yoga position, I laugh watching upside-down Canadian geese waddle awkwardly across the grass then glide elegantly on the river. Excited little kids race toward the swim area with parents running behind.

"Stand on one foot," the yoga instructor says. "In theory," I think wryly, falling over. For safety, I lean against a tree.

Over-reactive to insect bites, mosquitoes love me. It's genetic, something in my sweat. In the first yoga class, I got eight mosquito bites. No one else did. Painful swelling and itchiness lasted five days. To prevent mosquito bites, I tried different things:

1. Sprayed exposed skin with Deet insect spray. Couldn't stand the stink.

2. Wore thick long pants and a long-sleeved shirt. Too hot.

3. Today I sprayed hiking and yoga clothes with Sawyer Permethrin insect spray. It lasts through six machine washings or 42 days. Nontoxic and odorless, it kills and repels ticks, mosquitoes and 36 other biting insects. I have used it with great success for over four years.

Mosquitoes are horrible in the mountains now. Organic oils, mints, bracelets and "natural" insect sprays don't work.

LiterateHiker 9 Aug 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Try Tea Tree oil, Walgreens sells it in small spray bottles. Deep Woods Off is very effective

i have some citronella oil and I put it on my wrists, face neck shoulders ankles lol it helps..

@AmmaRe007

You are lucky it works for you. Not for me.

I know chemicals aren't supposed to be good for your skin, but I prefer them to mosquitoes who stick their proboscis into my bloodstream. And now that I'm bald, I can put mosquito repellent on my head too.

Lasts 42 days? Does it also deter unwanted men? 🤣🤣

@Petter

Silly man! Of course it doesn't repel men.

@LiterateHiker So you still need a repellent for undesirable/unwanted men? There's a fortune awaiting the inventor of that!
There's also a fortune awaiting the inventor of the opposite substamce.

@Petter

Knees and elbows work against men. I never hike alone.

Karen carries cougar spray. It's a huge blast of pepper spray.

You sound like my daughter.

She got married on top of the Snowy Range in mid July in a strapless dress. She Was Covered In Welts!!!!

Let me know if it works and I'll see if she's tried it yet.

@Larimar

For four years, I have successfully used permethrin insect spray on my hiking clothes, pack, socks and hat, plus inside hat brim. This turns me into a walking Mosquito Hate Zone. Haven't had a mosquito or tick bite since. It doesn't work for deer flies.

I keep meticulous track of the 42-day period and number of washings. Not everyone wants to do that.

While hiking, I wear long pants and a long-sleeved shirt even in summer. Mosquitoes can still bite exposed skin.

So, I spray strong Deet insect spray onto the back of my hands. (Not on the palms; I eat with my hands.) Then I pat the sprayed back of my hands onto my face, ears, neck and other exposed skin.

With deer flies, I add gloves and a bug net that goes over my hat, face and neck. It falls to my shoulders.

@K9Kohle789

Wet permethrin is poisonous to cats. It's not meant to spray on skin.

Only spray clothing and gear. Let it dry completely before wearing.

Bug spray necessary

bobwjr Level 10 Aug 10, 2020

How did the Sawyer work for you today?

@RoyMillar

Permethrin spray works beautifully.

For four years, I have used it on my hiking clothes, hat (inside and outside) and pack.

Mosquitoes hate the smell of mint . I suggest planting peppermint or spearmint in a planter . On your way to your yoga class thoroughly rub your arms through the mint plant . The mint oil will stay on yur skin and you'll smell like chewing gum . The won't like you any more .

@Cast1es

Mint doesn't work for me.

@LiterateHiker Nor anyone else I know.

I laughed at this. I see these outdoor workouts that people are doing and think "you must not live in the deep South." 98% humidity, mosquitoes, gnats, flies, ants... The only tolerable outdoor workouts involve continuous movement like running or speed walking and preferably before the intensity of the sun kicks in. I love the outdoors, but this time of year sucks for anything but the beach. Kudos!

Whatever it is that attracts them, I have it as well. Fortunately there are few of them in Philly.

Climate Change, Global Warning and they will be in New York and Toronto soon

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:523371
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.