Agnostic.com

19 3

Are dysfunctional families the norm?

What do you think?
Do stable families exist?
Or are dysfunctional families the standard?

silvereyes 8 Nov 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

OMG I hope not, I have friends almost as old as I am who grew up in amazing families. I am so jealous. Sadly, I see more problem families.

Absolutely. Mine is a total mixed bag of dysfunction.

define normal

I don't think there is such a thing as normal really and dysfunctional with children is bound to happen to varying degrees. I think its a bit strange if everyone is perfectly polite and nice always.

Probably off topic to most people here but this is one of the reasons that I scratched my head every time the idea of gay marriage came up. Yes. I guess gays should have an equal opportunity to make a mess of their lives and get bound up in the legalities of traditional marriage. But when the dynamics of a male/male or female/female relationship are so different from those of a "mixed" marriage why would we want to emulate a model that doesn't even work for straight people? Guys are wired to be predatory. Gay guys especially. Most, if they were honest, would admit they would rather play the field in their younger years than pair off and play house. The high ideal for some reason is to form such a bond and live happily ever after. Even without the pressure of spawning and raising children this is difficult to impossible for anyone but the best of friends. Not lovers, friends. Many, many gays who do pair off live in "open" relationships the rules for which vary as widely as the people who enter into them. An arrangement that might prove functional for one couple (or threesome, or foursome) would be a dysfunctional prison for others. There is much talk about the breakdown of families. For me, they can't dissolve fast enough. It is time to come up with some new models.

When rumors started flying in the mid '70's through the bar scene in every major city in the country that there was a deadly "gay cancer" going around it created an atmosphere of fear. It was associated with the Haitian community as well as gays and there was a dark joke circulating about how, if you came down with the disease, did you convince your parents you were Haitian. Rumors circulated about the cause with poppers being blamed as the popular suspect. When it became apparent this was a new and deadly venereal disease people began pairing off and disappearing. There were many "shotgun weddings" at the time and the days of the 24/7 Mardi Gras were over. The gay world marked but its unbridled licentiousness began morphing more into a community brought together to fight a common enemy. Lesbians, who were least affected by the disease and largely ignored by gay men up until this time became leaders, caregivers, comrades-in-arms. The thriving hubs of gay night life like the Castro in San Francisco became quiet and even foreboding. By the time AIDS got its official name the gay world had turned upside down. You will think this strange but prior to AIDS I and many others knew no one who had paired off to play house. That simply wasn't the goal. Those who did were seen as odd stereotyped as nelly old queens too old and ugly to thrive in the bar scene. The only goal when going out at night was to "trick" with the most attractive stranger possible. If you could bed two or three in a single evening so much the better. AIDS permanently ended all of that. The plague descended and took many thousands with it. The rest lived in fear. In my case, I began taking "lovers." I had four LTR's which I would arbitrarily define as relationships that lasted two or more years, involved setting up a household and were, more or less, monogamous. The last endured for 19 years until he, too, succumbed to a viral infection as a consequence of an AIDS related compromised immune system. We had lived and worked together and were as "married" as any two people could be but had no paper to prove it. By then I was nearly 50, 110 in gay years, too old for the bars and too jaded to believe lightning could strike twice and I would be able to find another like him. I have been on my own since 1999 but have never thought of it as "ending up alone." The longer I live by myself the more i come to treasure my independence. If I want to have dinner at 10 pm and sleep until 2 pm the next day I do. I can walk around naked, fart, travel or pursue inappropriate relationships without answering to anyone. I don't have to mediate between my friends and a disapproving partner, or give up the remote control, or nest in a house too big spending my time and money on maintenance. I guess I am alone but I am not lonely. I have recently started to have a presence on dating sites. All I can say is that, "The woods are full of cuckoos!" I haven't met anyone I could live with but many that I could gladly live without. I've served my time doing most of the work in relationships. Nothing could induce me to marry someone. I am exactly where I have aimed and where i want to be. I know nothing of the statistics involved. My experience is that 99% of the gay people I know are in relationships. I'm not aware of a large number of elderly gay men "being alone."

All depends on the definition of "dysfunctional". My understanding of "functional" is being able to dress yourself, shop for food, prepare meals, go to work, etc. So dysfunctional is the opposite. NOW, are most families "healthy" or "neurotic"? I think there is mild neurosis in most families. "Healthy" families are almost rare. Is life difficult no matter the family atmosphere? Sure! I don't think there is anyone completely free of issues. So, "Are dysfunctional families the norm?" Yes, as long as you use "dysfunctional" in the popular sense.

Depends on the time and place. Dysfunctionality is more prevalent in soem parts of the world more than others.

I think it may seem to be the norm because for the most part humans are nto as "smart" as we think ourselves to be as a species.

Hmmm.... This is a tough question. I can give my personal learned opinion. Only explaining my idea of dysfunction and without looking it up to get someones expert opinion. I say religion could be a sort of dysfunction within the family. Its values and platforms could be crazy enough to allow a certain exceptance of immoral acts of behavior. I personally can't explain that i know of a stable family. I know that my children are working towards promoting a stable family, but its rough having step children and other parents of those children. I know that my family upbringing was abusive. I thought we were normal until i compared families that laughed and hugged and did things together without something expected in return. My Dad was evil and abusive. My mother was submissive and controlled. We feared my dad. I became an alcoholic and almost became my dad untill i received help. I thought i was normal. Dysfunctional families exist all around and are secretive. Yes they could be standard. Only the persons of that family can truely state the level of dysfunction they were or are. I can recognise a dysfunctional family but not the extent of it. I am a product of a dysfunctional family. I sought help to change me and actually fought back untill i finally surrendered. That was real dumb of me because it became a pride thing with me evem though i asked for help. Hmmm... i hate that that was me. I have been forgiven by my own family, but i know this behavior leaves a scare so i never talk up about my younger days like i was something special. I allow my family to speak it up of how great i was as a dad. I just act shy and timid and say i don't remember. Its true. I don't remember.

I don't think they are "the norm"...but I know there are many dysfunctional families contaminating mankind's future.
During my 26+ years of teaching I have seen / heard a lot of ignorance handed down from the parents to their kids.

In my experience I think dysfunctional is the norm..and so called stable is rare....most families put on acts in public..and behind closed doors are screaming at eachother...putting eachother down...humanity's major flaw as a species is it's nature to want to control everything...and in that flaw wars are fought ...wether on the battle fields or the living room...

Functional doesn't mean perfect of course, just that everyone's basic needs (including psychological) are getting met. Those families exist but I'm tempted to believe they are a minority.

skado Level 9 Nov 26, 2017

I would question what is the definition of 'basic needs'? Is it emotional, physical, shelter or just what one needs to survive?
I grew up in a large (Catholic) family. Our basic needs were met but my mother was the world's worst housekeeper. The house was always messy and dirty. She was a great cook and we always had lots of food. No one had any addiction or abuse issues and life was relatively serene (aside from the arguments about money - neither had a clue on how to handle money. Good this was before credit cards). We had what is known as a free range (as opposed to helicopter) childhood. As long as we stayed out of trouble we did as we pleased and everybody got along (mostly). Everyone is successful and, out of 7, only one still embraces religion (Jehova's Witness).

I think most every family has their quirks, some more drastic and deeply rooted than others.
I also think there are plenty of so-called normals out there too, but I don't think they're exactly the Nelsons or the Cleavers. 😀

I am uniquely disqualified from an opinion on this topic...so here goes

Leave it to Beaver is fantasy. Jude and Ward Cleaver are fictional characters. That being said...

We all fall short of our ideals, and there is no nuclear family. We do the best we can, and we live with our decisions.

Does that even answer the question?

Everyone is dysfunctional to a point.
Complete harmony is boring. 🙂
My family was a blended family, and as a stepchild, it was hell sometimes. The step parents don’t always know that they treat the steps different, but most do.

I think many people, at least of my generation, compared themselves to the Cleavers of "Leave it to Beaver" fame to measure their dysfunction quotient. Ward goes to work every morning for an insurance company. June keeps the house immaculate in her knee length skirt and simple strand of pearls. The two boys are rascals whose biggest transgressions are bring late on their paper route or associating with bad company like Eddy Haskell. Many of the kids I went to school with led similar lives in the upscale neighborhoods of Santa Barbara. I wonder if I could find even one such family now even in an upper middle class enclave.

Stable families do exist but I can only imagine they are upper middle and upper income brackets. There are obviously some that are different to the norms but stability does come with money. Otherwise dysfunctional families are the norm. Even though I come from a stable middle / upper class family, my life has been pretty dysfunctional, probably because I didn't really know what dysfunctional was before hitting my 30's!

Not trying to pick a fight or anything, but some of the most dysfunctional families are the rich ones, a lot more absent parents, helicopter parents, split homes, substance abuse of all kinds, etc. than you would think. They are just in general better at hiding it, and a lot more uncomfortable talking about it.

I was raised in a 'stable' family environment, meaning my father and mother stayed married. All of their sons, me included, had broken marriages. Both of my sisters are in stable marriages, meaning they have not divorced. One probably should but won't. Dysfunctional doesn't necessarily mean divorced though. There are plenty of dysfunctional marriages, maybe the 'norm'. I believe living in a dysfunctional marriage is worse than having a separated family.

My parents divorced when I was one. They both remarried. All of my aunts and uncles are on their second marriages. My sister on her third. Only my brother is on his first. He’s really religious, so like my grandparents, he will stay in that marriage until he dies. I’ve never gotten married, as I know what divorce will do, and how hard it will be.

I'm a Boomer meaning my parents were raised in the Depression. My mother's mother was a flapper in the '20's, married and divorced at an early age. My father was made to pay room and board by his father at the age of 12. Both my parents made it their life goal to provide their three kids with the stable family and creature comforts they never enjoyed. And they did. My father worked 12 hours a day as a self-employed machine shop owner while my mother worked the graveyard shift as an RN, Despite this we ALWAYS had a home-cooked dinner with all five of us gathered around the table. I thought this was how everybody lived, with family vacations camping in the Redwoods and summer camps and piles of Christmas presents under the tree every year. I wasn't blind. I knew it was a loveless marriage. The year my younger brother graduated from high school they divorced. Their job was done. I look back now and feel guilty. I could never live for 25 years with someone I didn't love. And to think that two people did it for me is hard to wrap my head around. Still, they took pride in all three of us and we did all have some good times together just camping and fishing or taking in an amusement park. You don't meet people like them these days. Every time I hear about some homeless woman with 7 kids it makes me queasy.

GareBear517 We have shared histories, meals together, boomers' parents, and camping. My mom's mom was a flapper too! I just found a chainmail purse and necklace of hers. Pretty cool.

It's ironic how the intended lessons are learned and the unintended lessons are absorbed.

Oh yes, very much so to all questions. Of all my friends I think I have one that had a more or less normal childhood, mine was alright compared to a lot of my friends, but still pretty messed up. Dysfunction is the norm by far in my own limited studies, but the stable ones do exist... they're just rare, and it doesn't mean the kid won't grow up without dysfunction either.

who decides what is functional?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5237
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.