Agnostic.com

5 5

LINK We are witnessing the fall of a great power | The Canberra Times | Canberra, ACT

Just how rotten is the United States' political system? The answer is rotten, as in it will only take a small kick for the whole edifice to fall in, let alone a big kick like COVID-19.

The idea is about as fanciful as the collapse of the Soviet empire seemed in 1987, when President Ronald Reagan famously demanded: "Mr Gorbachev, tear down this wall." Yet, a short time later, a little chink in the Iron Curtain at the Hungary-Austria border saw the whole rotten regime collapse.

HippieChick58 9 Aug 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Problem was was that people credited Reagan for the fall and not the real hero, Gorbachev. The Soviet Union was crumbling under communism and after the fall experts examined some of the Russian weapons, subs and military infrastructure and were amazed people assumed it was a super power when in reality it was a total mess.

One historian noted that after the fall of Rome people could not say when it fell, only that it was gone. Gone with the wind.

I guess on this site, I'm the minority. I'm not truly optimistic about freedom and liberty in this country. I'm hopeful for the future of the human race. As far as the United States having the same fate as USSR, not for centuries. US is the wealthiest, most powerful country in the world, has the default currency for the planet. Soviet Union went broke, otherwise they'd still be here. Russian Federation isn't the military superpower that USSR was, but politically, just as dangerous.

Sadly this could be the end days of a once 'great' democracy. Face we were only great for the the majority of whites and few select people of color. Poor whites just lived in some weird illusion of greatness.
If Americans do not pull their collective heads out of their asses once trump is out of office America will go the way of the former Soviet Union.

I think we are doomed

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:523706
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.