Agnostic.com

7 5

LINK Who Is Kamala Harris? Senator From California Is Biden's VP Pick : NPR

" 'These aren't normal times," Biden added. "I need someone working alongside me who is smart, tough, and ready to lead. Kamala is that person."

"The two are set to deliver remarks in Biden's hometown of Wilmington, Del., on Wednesday, and together hold a virtual fundraiser. The coronavirus pandemic prevents Biden and Harris from rolling out their new ticket in the usual format: a boisterous introductory rally in a key swing state."

"The Harris pick creates a Democratic ticket that in many ways mirrors the one Biden ran on in 2008 with then-Sen. Barack Obama: An older white man and Washington lifer with deep foreign policy experience is paired with a younger, Black running mate with immigrant roots who has been in the Senate just four years yet still managed to carve out a national profile. Only this time, Biden is occupying the top spot."

AnonySchmoose 8 Aug 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Vote Green

Or vote for the other Two evils. All your doing there, is given yourself a Frankenstein selfie or removing your nose to spite your face.

My partner does not like her either.
At this point I'll take anything that excises the cancerous growth in the White House.

@AnonySchmoose I can no longer vote "lesser of"..for the 1st time in my life I'll be voting 3rd party..the corruption within the Dems us just to overwhelming to accept any longer..they, as a party are 1990s Republicans.. I Do Not vote Republican..

@Charlene The democrats are too afraid to take a real stand on any issue that conflicts w/their corporatist ideology. Consequently they often come across to us as a self-serving coward. Yes, the DNC resembles the GOP with their myopic concept of human value.

@AnonySchmoose which is exactly Why I can not and Will Not vote Democratic in the presidential election..I will also Not be voting for Joe " I'am a Hack" Kennedy in his run against Sen. Markey..

Oh goody. I'm sure this pick will help Biden secure the vital swing state of California.

In your opinion, what chance is there that she can help Biden be an adequate president?

@AnonySchmoose

I don't think there's any chance of it.

@RoboGraham
Okay. I am interested in your opinion and experience about why you think she cannot help. If you have spare time to reply.

@AnonySchmoose

Well, first off, I believe Biden has the potential to be a below average president at best, regardless of who his VP is.

The reason I don't like Harris is because she is a tough on crime prosecutor who has a record of callously locking up poor people while turning a blind eye to the the crimes of elites.

During this period of unprecedented civil unrest, we need leaders who can recognize the need for police and criminal justice reform and then carry it out in the best interests of the people. Harris will not do that. If anything, she will make it worse. I've heard that the rioting in Portland intensified when the news of her selection was announced.

I think she is just another corporate democrat in the pocket of the special interests. Back about 5 years ago, she accepted a donation from Trump himself. She does not support rational healthcare policy, she is a foreign policy hawk, and she seems to have no strong convictions. She is the sort of leader who will say whatever is necessary at the time because she's in it for personal power, not to improve the country.

All that being said, I've actually been convinced that she is a good pick for Biden and she may help him win. It was kind of stupid to pick someone from California since that state is already a given but she adds to the law and order messaging of the Biden campaign. Trump is trying to brand himself as the law and order president but there is much lawlessness under his reign while both Biden and Harris have a reputation for being tough on crime. Which is a very bad thing in my opinion but it will take the wind out of Trump's law and order angle. Also, we on the left absolutely hate Harris. So we have been criticizing her relentlessly and that actually helps their strategy. When the DNC chose Biden, they chose the strategy of ignoring the left and going after the center. Well, Trump is attempting to paint Biden as a "radical leftist" as republicans always do but that won't stick when actual radical leftists flippen hate him and his running mate and are very vocal about it. So centrists who hesitate to vote democrat will feel that they have permission to do so after seeing how much the actual left hates Biden and Kamala.

So, I think it's a strategy that could win the election, but as far as running the country, it almost couldn't get worse. To the point that I almost don't even care which one wins.

@RoboGraham
Thanks for the fantastic reply. I can tell you've really studied the political scene. My partner has antipathy for Harris too. I stay away from most TV news, as it is often too repetitive and sensational for me. I need to read to gather facts. I particularly agreed with your fifth paragraph. That is basically how I see Biden and Harris, how they could win, and what they will do, and what they'll not care about after elected.

@AnonySchmoose

Thanks, I try to stay informed.

I gave up corporate news a few years ago now. I generally get my information from a few independent journalists on youtuber who I trust to give me facts without an establishment narrative.

@RoboGraham
I am interested in your independent news sources. You really seem in touch with the pulse of news.

@AnonySchmoose

Rising appears to be a typical news show but it is free from the shackles of the big networks so they can give you actual news. There is a liberal host and a somewhat conservative host and both are knowledgeable and respectful of each other. It's pretty unique. A good source.
Secular Talk is hosted by Kyle Kulinsky. He is a bit unconventional but he really knows his stuff. I viewed him as sort of unprofessional at first but stick with it and you'll see he knows what he is talking about. Most of the info I gave you above came from him.
The Rational National is hosted by a Canadian named David Doel. He is pretty similar to Kyle but a bit more conventional.
Beau of the Fifth Column is hosted by a very interesting journalist and activist named Justin King. He is probably the most knowledgeable person on this list. Don't let his appearance and accent fool you. He has probably had more of an impact on me than any of the others on this list.

All of these have a left leaning slant because that is my ideology. So of course they are biased, but who isn't. I find all of these guys are willing to be honest about their bias and willing to provide information without spin.

@RoboGraham
Thanks very much.

@AnonySchmoose

Your very welcome. I hope you enjoy and I hope it's useful to you.

If you like these, I know of a few other similar channels you can try out

I like the pick.

I know people have reason for suspicion about her prosecutorial reputation.
I think that how tough she is will help Biden's chances, though. What will happen?
Probably a massive black voting effort and demonstrations against voter suppression too. I hope the progressives and democratic base turn out in droves too.

@AnonySchmoose so I should support a closet Rethug that has an Black American Woman ex prosecutor as his running mate that had No problem throwing young black men in jail for long periods of incarceration for possession of pot? This pick is gonna be Soo big in California..🙄🙄🙄

@Charlene
Biden and Harris are not my ideal choices for the 2020 ticket.
But we are stuck with that, because America has never been the democracy it claims to be.
Nor have blue dog politicians like Biden fought earnestly to make it a democracy for everyone.

@AnonySchmoose Joe is a Yellow dog Dem..always was always will be..Kamala is his choice for the same reason Obama picked Biden..to assuage White suburban voters, in this case it's Black American voters..I trust them as much as I trusted Bush/Chrney..

@Charlene
Do you mean you feel his not like a republican democrat (blue dog) . . . but that he is like a southern democrat (yellow dog)?

@AnonySchmoose yellow Dog Southern Dems = Blue Dog Dems....same shit different speech patterns..

@Charlene
Then . . . how do you decide whether to call them blue or yellow, if they are like each other, or the same?

@AnonySchmoose I just call them what they are R.E.T.HU.G.L.I.C.A.N.S

She's tough and experienced. This could be very interesting....probably scaring the hell out of some GOP swine.

She is from a family of high-power lawyers, and professionals in the public arena.
VP is a natural step in her career. I hope with her toughness, she helps us turn around a lot of the harm done to this country by trumposaurus.

She also incarcerated More young Black Men than any previous A.G in Cali..so yeah just pretend she sacroanct..

@Charlene
Yes, I heard that about her incarceration reputation, and the other bad stuff.
I'm viewing her from horse-race perspective in the current situation in regard to squelching every trumposaurus in kingdomcome . . . .

@AnonySchmoose vote as you will..that's your right and I'll exercise as I see fit..

@Charlene and yet, one of the Public Defenders who opposed her in court every week has said Kamala was one of the most progressive AGs she's ever seen...that she's delighted to see her on the Biden ticket.

@LucyLoohoo yeah..still not buying her "progressive" resume.. just like any other center right dem they use "progressive" as much as Rethugs use"family values"

@Charlene I understand that, Toots....but this obviously genuine comment came from a former public defender who worked closely with/against Kamala. There'll be a few speeches in the next few weeks (ya' think?) and we'll see more of what she's got.

@LucyLoohoo Again Harris is Not a Progressive..DNC branding is a farce..her record in California speaks volumes of Exactly where she stands on all issues..much like Bidens..

We the people need to take this country out of the hands of the psycho that is currently in charge. Four more years could be apocalyptic.

Unity Level 7 Aug 11, 2020

Four more years would be devastating for the entire world, let alone America.
To get rid of the psycho appears to be a matter of life or death to much of the world.

. . . wondering, did NPR 'know' early or did they have a write-up on all possibles ready ?

I think they had a write-up on each possibility.

I'm pretty sure it was the latter. I know if I had been in control that's what I would have done wouldn't you?

@Lorajay That is certainly the wise thing to do.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:523734
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.