Agnostic.com

7 1

As a civilization are we de evolving?

This is happening for two main reasons .1 The survival of the fittest does not occur in the human species any more due to keeping the weak alive thru technology advances and medicine .We no longer need to be fit to survive. 2 - The birth rate is now far higher amongst the deprived and uneducated and successful educated people choose to limit their family size. Due to the above the human race will have an inferior gene pool and we will evolve in to a genetically inferior species .Does this matter and if so what can we do about it

richiegtt 8 Nov 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

we are on the cusp of greatness yet we will fail and die as all our intelligence goes into solving problems we create ourselves. we have so generalised how can we evolve apart from getting weaker, fatter and less intelligent. we will at this rate crash and burn real soon and take a lot of animals with us.jellyfish have thrived for 2 billion years without a brain. crocodilians and sharks haven't changed much in quite a few million years with a small brain. now look at us with our huge brain.

Interesting and thought provoking

indeed

We are not devolving as a civilization, so much as our technology is progressing much faster than we can culturally adapt to it. This may lead to a breakdown in civilization, But unlike ancient civilizations, the technology is so widespread worldwide I think it is unlikely we we enter into another all out dark age where most technology gets lost as has happened for past civilizations.

So you are talking eugenetics as a solution to the poor and undereducated increasing the population? Perhaps the evidence that we are de-evolving is because we still have poor and uneducated. Maybe "poor and uneducated" does not mean nor imply inferior genes.

I'm horrified by his comment. If I were mean, I would say it is proof that we are devolving. On the other hand, you are proof that we are evolving. Thank you for your thoughtful comment.

It is frightfully possible. Unless we can stop the moral rot and corruption in our politics, blunt the evangelical Christian drive for political power, stop the buying of politicians by big money, the arms industry and the energy extraction industry, our culture is in deep trouble. We must begin concerted action to stop this now, keep up the pressure, and not let up.

I agree. Unless the use of religion as a political tool and moneymaking scam supported by the willfully ignorant, humanity is in danger of destroying our planet and itself because of the incessant hunger for wealth and power.

I agree that the human race has ceased to evolve. That happened the instant we began to change our environment to suit our needs rather than adapting to it.

As for your assertion that we are de-evolving, I do not agree. We are seeing a few things at work. One thing we are seeing is that the internet has given a voice to those who previously were ignored. The current generation of Americans is the highest educated generation in our history. We're also seeing a pushback from the religious in this country. As religion is dying, those who have historically held sway are fighting harder to maintain it. As time goes by we'll see them either take control by force, or fade away.

d_day Level 7 Nov 25, 2017

It seems that the Internet is doing as much to disrupt society as it is to advance it... providing an streamlined channel for the spread of hatred, lies, conspiracy theories, etc., ammunition to support one's bias, to fuel the flames, etc. Until people can wade through their willful ignorance, I don't see humanity advancing much.

I feel there is nothing to do about it. We can preach all day long about zero- and negative-birth plans. We can preach all day long about purposeful breeding for health. But none of it matters as long as there are no population control laws. People just have to have that third, fourth, or eighth mouth to feed. They don’t want to understand that those kids are going to have to fight for jobs and housing. They just want to feel good about themselves.

You are arguing for eugenics. I'm not a hundred percent on the other side, but who decides who lives and dies? Who decides who gets to reproduce?

I disagree. I find nothing Eugenic about that. There is no purposeful reproductive programs—yet. The people breed recklessly, one reason our population is so unhealthy.

Sooo voluntary eugenics...now that is a pipe dream

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5238
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.