Agnostic.com

3 4

Watching a movie tonight, and it strikes me, it takes a very brave man to tell what he thinks is the truth, regardless of the consequences, whether it be honor, status...even love.
All these movies are untrue...the glory of combat and victory, the revisionist history, the vanquished so necessarily 'evil' vanquished....lies, all lies...but integrity despite the penalty of everything a man or woman could possibly hold dear...that movie has never been made and might never.

Storm1752 8 Aug 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The last few I was thinking of how brave Christopher Hitchens was.

twill Level 7 Aug 14, 2020

Every fiction exists in a fictional world, where the laws of nature are altered to accommodate the fiction.

And every fiction comes with the hidden agendas of its creator, which existed within the fictional world within the mind which created it. It is therefore twice removed from reality.

The biggest enemy of learning is not lies, trying deliberately to mislead. But the great mass of false education, blocking the way to the truth.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by the great mass of false education?

@LuckyOne3 The greater mass of nearly all human culture. Take for example the old argument used by sceptics against theists. Quoted by WilliamCharles only today in the quotes group.

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
.Stephen F Roberts

The vast majority of human cultures contain a few small important truths. Like for example. It is not a good idea to have children with your siblings. But it does not mater one jot, if that is told to you by Zeus, Yahway, or the institute for national genetics, and the history of all those institutions is all but irrelevant to the fact. Yet 99.99% of education is spent on learning about human culture which is a different thing in every town, village and church, so that in the end so much time is spent on that that the truths people really should know are lost, to many. So that you can live in a world where people can emerge from their states education system, without any real understanding of genetics, but the knowledge that Zeus married his sister. This is a little gift enjoy.

[langspace.com]

IMO, good drama is about the 'willing suspension of disbelief' -- which is why I avoid most musicals (a few exceptions) -- I don't encounter folks 'breaking into song' 😛

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:524406
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.