Agnostic.com

7 14

Coming off a post yesterday about the "woke", which I had no idea what "the woke" even was, I investigated. I found in the link an intetesting tidbit of which I was previously unaware; the political origin of the political terms, "left" and "right".

As many readers will recall, the terms “left” and “right” when used in the political sense originated from the seating arrangements in the National Constituent Assembly (Assemblée nationale constituante) during the French Revolution starting in 1789. Those seated on the left side of the chamber were generally supportive of the revolution, republicanism and secularism whereas those seated on the right remained loyal to the monarchy, the clergy and traditional institutions of the Ancien régime. These two poles corresponded roughly to support for or opposition to the values of the Enlightenment, an intellectual and philosophical movement which had been spreading throughout Europe for about a century. Indeed, the French Revolution was itself a product of the Enlightenment, as were the American, Haitian and Russian Revolutions

[blog.davidrand.ca]?

t1nick 8 Aug 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I like your perspective on this

I can't stand the word.
Just another bullshit made-up term which really doesn't mean jack.

The woke person is the one that commits the crime of saying "lets try respecting each other".

Reminds me of the movement out of the 70's, "I'm okay. and you're okay". There are absolutes in the universe, and somethings are just wrong, no alternative facts allowed..

@t1nick Political and conspiracy based opinions don't count, they're alien concepts that act as a virus on the minds of free people. When I say respect I'm talking about the full range of valid opinions. I'm sorry Qanoon and the antifa terrorism stories along with any form of religion are all just communicable mental illness.

@Willow_Wisp

With that I can agree

Though aware of the term for a year or two, I couldn't say understood it deeply. But in some of the more extreme instances, it might be more appropriately referred to as "daydreaming".

Checked-out of my local library I watched this -- check-it-out 🙂

[thegreatcourses.com]

cool, looks interesting

I did know this. It was the seating in the French legislature. It's not surprising that the right wing was occupied by nobility. Here in the states where poor whites support the right wing, it really doesn't make sense.

agreed

So use of the terms have flipped, at least here in the USA..? Kinda like when Democrats supported slavery & Republican’s, not?

Varn Level 8 Aug 15, 2020

Not exactly, Republicans are presently supporting the wannabe Monarchy (trump), while the Democrats are in favor of the revolution (BLM). Correct about the Civil War era stances.

The Republican Party started as the left wing. It's origins was an offshoot of the liberal Whig party. The old Democrat party was those who formed the Confederacy. Southern segregationists voted Democrat until 1968. Nixon's Southern Strategy swept South 1972. Briefly Carter carried few southern states 1976 but that was the last year. Obama carried Florida and NC but southern segregationists all vote Republican.

@t1nick I get that with the Republicans, the minority party. But not with the Democrats, having promoted a moderate. The R’s are radical, the D’s are not.

@Varn

No "R" stands for right wing, retro-looking, knee jerk reactionary.

@M12bfree

They have been knee-jerk reactionary for the 40+ years I've been voting. Their even more backward looking (retro) today under trump than they ever have been.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:524776
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.