Agnostic.com

18 12

I gave up on my old riding lawnmower last week and today a friend took me to buy a new one.

He has a truck and wonderful ramps so the hauling was super easy. I wanted to buy him lunch as well as gas to thank him for his kindness and help. We went to a seafood place that has an outdoor patio. It was near the Air Force base I used to work at.

After we were seated the waiter came and took our order. I was enjoying the conversation with my friend and did not notice until he brought our food that his mask had trump 2020 on it.

I don't know if I was angrier about what his mask said or the fact that he was stupid enough to advertise his political preference when he was in a service job that depended on tips to make a living.

My companion will definitely vote for Biden but he is not an avid politico in any way. When it came time to pay the bill I told him that I might make him uncomfortable with my remarks and he might want to go start the airconditioner in the truck. He told me he hated to go in a hot car after eating and went to cool the car off.

I know it wouldn't do any good but when I paid the bill, I left a 15 % tip and as I handed him the bill I gave him a piece of my mind about how stupid I thought it was for him to take a chance on offending customers when he had to depend on tips to make a decent salary. I told him I thought it would be stupid to wear a mask with any candidates name on it. I also told him that I gave you a tip but it might have been more if I had not been irritated by his stupid mask which told me he supported a pussy grabbing lying bully. He said OK and I left. I'm sure I just made him more determined to vote for trump but I felt better afterwards.

And that is my rant for today.

Lorajay 9 Aug 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I just came in from doing the trimming where I have lots of time to think.

I remembered my Democrat parking only sign and the fact that I am in a service business. That does make me quite hypocritical. On the other hand I am prepared to receive criticism for the sign because I know it's not the smartest thing to keep it up. So far I've received 98% 5 stars from by guests. I guess that means my guess are either all nicer than me, democrats or really don't care.

So glad you spoke up about your feelings. Not many will do that.

This is a very interesting post to me as a Brit. If this happened to me here in the U.K., and it was a partisan political message, regardless of whether I approved of the message or not, I wouldn’t have tipped the waiter and would have told him why. However, over here tipping is not mandatory but discretionary. Around 10% is usually considered a standard amount to leave as a tip if the meal and service have been satisfactory, more if the diner judges it to have been excellent, and definitely nothing if the experience has proved unsatisfactory. Most restaurants here have a system of pooling their tips to give a share to kitchen staff and the tip is placed in a container at the till, but we expect restaurant owners to pay at or above the legal minimum wage and the diners are not expected to be subsidising their staff’s wages. I would probably have asked to speak to the manager when I was paying the bill and explained why I objected to the message on the mask.

I read with astonishment the replies that tell you you did a bad thing...what if the mask had a dick pick on it, would they be telling you how awful you were? How about the word "nigger"? I am with your response 1000%!

why tip him anything? He got his tip in the form of the free advertising he forced on you.

Gotta leave .02...otherwise they brush you off as a "cheap m-f'er" instead of getting a Clear message

@AnneWimsey Sorry, we don't tip in aussie so I don't understand the subtlties of it.

@Cyklone the is a prevalent saying about how something "isn't worth 2 cents", meaning it's totally worthless, so a 2-cent tip sends that message Clearly., as opposed to leaving nothing, which the server could simply say "cheap m-f"

@AnneWimsey can you do that? Our smallest coin is 5c.

@Cyklone then leave one of them, i guess... but you have no adage to point up the gesture...?

Anyone overreacting to such an innocuous incident such as this, and to think this is normal behavior in addition to seeking affirmation for your deplorable behavior proves that TDS does indeed exist.

@juli15 excellent Diagnosis LOL

Guilty as charged [cnn.com]

WARNING! The Dems just chose RADICAL Kamala Harris to be Biden's Running Mate! We must send a HUGE message! Gifts 700% MATCHED. Donate NOW: bit.ly/30OylZn

Have you got your 700% match for your last donation yet? Since you are a very knowledgeable trump supporter, can you tell me where that gargantuan match is coming from? The texts I have received from the trump campaign seem to indicate that these huge matches are available almost every day.

You're too kind. I would have asked for another server. Or, left.

I wish I had realized what his mask said before I ordered.

I would never talk to a waiter like that for such a ridiculous reason . The only reason to make a complaint to a waiter is in regards to the food or the service . It’s non of you business what he was wearing .

So, there you sit with your 5-year old, and the mask has a graphic pic of a dick, or vagina. Or the word "nigger".......saying nothing, are ya?

Do you honestly believe you would have been so upset or submitted this post if your candidate of choice was printed on the hat .I doubt it. You made it apparent with your rant about Trump that this was your main reason for chastising the waiter which I believe was rude and obnoxious. The other reasons you gave for being against the hat were to validate your post .

I believe you got it right.

I would not have been as upset by the hat if it had said Biden however I would have thought the waiter was stupid.

I believe I have a right to enjoy a meal I'm paying for at a restaurant. His cute little mask took away my enjoyment.

You Go girl.....but I think 15% was too much! Far more effective would be 2 shiny pennies! Leaving nothing writes you off as a cheapskate....02 is a clear message! And I doubt I would have been as mannerly about it! His manager must also be an idiot..........

Yep, it's silly for a waiter to wear political attire during such a contentious race where he knows he is losing the respect of half of his customers. That's the risk he takes with his choice, so it must be worth getting more tips from some, less tips from others, like you.

I would think that the restaurant owner or manager wouldn't allow it, unless they're okay with endorsing various political candidates in the name of the business, but then again, the management may feel they can't restrict freedom of speech in that way.

Just remember, the same concept could be applied to rival sports teams, and various social controversies as well as religious symbols.

If you were working for a business who caters to all faiths, would you wear an "atheist" mask, for fear you might offend customers?

I think you were right to tip the amount you felt fair but lower than if the waiter had worn a mask that didn't take a stand one way or another. The waiter might be getting higher tips from Trump supporters. It's all good - we all must be true to ourselves and speak our minds when we are moved to say something.

I personally refuse to dine at restaurants that have political signs in their windows I disagree with. That is my right, as it is their right to lose my business, but maybe gain business from similarly minded folks. That's what's great about America.

Smartest to check all political affiliations at the door and have a good time. You did what felt good to you, and the waiter is doing what feels good to him. Best to avoid controversy in the first place though, in my opinion.

This guy was foolish to wear this due to his tips being effected by people like you.But what is offensive to you is not offensive to everyone . I happen to think you were being offensive in talking to the waiter in that matter .

I am not a trump fan but I believe in free speech and expression . If a brother can wear a BLM hat as a friend of mine does at the auto parts counter where he is employed ,I would be a hypocrite if I thought otherwise would I not?

I believe people in retail or service jobs should keep their political opinions to themselves. If for no other reason but out of respect for their employers who should want to be careful not to offend any of their customers.

It happens

bobwjr Level 10 Aug 19, 2020

I think my mom would call you a feisty old broad. 😛

And I agree, it was stupid. Really, wearing something that endorses anything not directly related to the business, and approved by management, is stupid.

Considering the location it may have been approved by management.

A waiter wearing a mask such as this is uncalled for. IF the mask had Biden 2020 on it would you have made the same exact comments to the waiter ? I am sure you would have am I correct..

Not the same exact comments but I would have told him I thought it was inappropriate and not very smart for him to wear a mask with a political candidate on it.

I would've tipped him extra heavy if he had a Biden/Harris mask. It's still not smart. I wouldn't have said anything to the other guy, I just would stop going there. I don't have to be fair. I hate Trump.

That's unbelievable. He probably waits on a lot of people from the base and figures they would like that. Some of them probably don't. It's probably his owner that gave out the masks. Do you think he takes it upon himself to do that on his own? I would boycott the restaurant

More than likely it was approved by the restaurant and I will not be going there again.

@MissKathleen She already ate there. She told him and she didn't stiff him on a tip. He couldn't say she was cheap and she said her piece. She did perfect.

@MissKathleen She didn't want to be a Karen and ask for the manager.

@MissKathleen The owner won't care because he prolly handed out the Trump masks. If he did care though, that letter could get the "low level employee" fired. She did good. I would just spend my money elsewhere.

I believe a waiter wearing a mask with any candidates name on it is wrong, and he used bad judgment in doing so . That being said I personally would not have said anything to this person . He had a right to wear the mask as long as his boss said it was ok . Him acting like a jerk does not effect me so I do not care . If I did not approve I just would not return there.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:526147
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.