Agnostic.com

16 6

QUESTION The 80s Timeline - National Geographic

In your opinion, what are some things you found most influential coming from the 80's decade?

Of course, being a teenager during the 80's, I was fond of the John Hughes movies. I had big hair. I lived in Texas, so it was extra big and full of hairspray. I owned leg warmers and spandex pants, the pants I wore in honor of the hair bands. All that aside, there were some amazing things happening during that time. Technology was getting interesting, for sure. Atari was my favorite passtime. LOL.

Stacey48 8 Apr 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I lost that decade in a haze of medical education

How could they leave out the break-up of Wham!

It wasn't things so much. Graduation from high school '86, dropped out of college and joined the army in '88, got married in '89.

What I miss from the '80s is me, and all the firsts that are so far behind me now. The last few years of my youth that I squandered on people and pursuits that weren't worthy, and all the opportunity I threw away.

JimG Level 8 Apr 8, 2018

My daughter was born in 1983. Medical testing of Aids saved her life. One of my best friends died of Aids. I loved Breakfast Club, St. Elmo's Fiire, etc. Had a crush on Andrew McCarthy. In the 80s I lived in 4 states - MA, NY, VT and NH -much moving. My hair looked like Farrah Fawcett's. I loved to dance and liked disco, Madonna. Was Madonna one Halloween party with friends. All the old bands came to town revised: Mamas and the Papas, Temptations. Took my daughter to Muppets Live and she freaked out at 3. Fun time. Socialization with other young couples-my friend the pharmacist went to prison for embezzling coke and came out straight and State of VT drug counselor.

Not much good. It was a dreadful decade.

My kids being born..then the divorce of course.

The 80s weren't all that great. A lot of what happened in the 80s has come back to bite us all square in the ass, and continues to do so.
I do not look back on the 80s with any fondness. Too many people have too short memories.

@Donotbelieve I get it. I was a kid during the 60s and 70s. Unfortunately, I was an extraordinarily weird kid. I remember all the anti-war protests, the assassinations of MLK and RFK, Watergate, Nixon's resignation, and the Ford and Carter Administrations. There was lots of good stuff, like the music, but I've always been into history, politics, and what was going on in the world. I remember the 80s with a certain amount of contempt.

I was born in 1988. I don't remember the 80's.

1988 was a good year for you

@btroje Lol.

There's so much awesome that came out of the 80's that the very thought of going through all of it, though fun, is overwhelming. The birth of (the good) MTV, 80's music in general, so many great films, the rise of cocain, the fall of cocain. The 80's were just great. 😉

@Stacey48

Well the music was absolutely fantastic, for sure. Bands like Metallica, Megadeth, and such were writing music that became too good to die with time, and that's a huge achievement. However, I found the movies from the 80's to be extremely vulgar, and over the top.

I think alot.of things in the 80s were great, like music ,clothes, most people who were into music big time , dressed in a certainly interesting manner especially the Ladies, tons of big and long hair, tight pants, spandex,etc, also movies and entertainment technology was certainly getting more interesting

I'm glad I was a teen in the 80's. I would like a do over so I could correct some wrongs on my part and tell some well deserved persons to fuck off(can I say that?).
I had Bon Jovi hair, super tight jeans, crop tops, leopard printed geometric belt and black silver studded ankle boots....I was cool AF

Coming of age. Getting more confused by becoming less confused? Sex. Radical feminism. Gay rights. Music: 2nd wave ska, Joe Jackson, Joan Armatrading, Elvis Costello, The Clash, Ramones, women's music. Older women. Figuring out how screwed up my family is. Art. India. Living on my own. Vegetarianism. Food coops. Hair. Interesting thinking about this. Thanks. 🙂

@Stacey48 As I was thinking about all of it I was trying to decide if I would do it again. Probably not. Youth is wasted on the young. Even my own youth. 🙂

Cocaine and Reagan

@Stacey48 They were the two things that popped into my mind with no thought.

Cocaine + Reagan = Reacaine

@DZhukovin
Reagan + Cocaine = Rogaine

@JimG lol

@JimG

No, now it's a scalp product!

@DZhukovin Reagan did have great hair.

@Sticks48

I'm not a fan of thoracic phenotypes. Reagan chaps my ass for that reason.

@DZhukovin I didn't like him either, but he did have great hair.

@Sticks48

🙂

When MTV was real, the advent of personal computers, CD's instead of vinyl or cassettes, the space shuttle, the homegrown demonstrations against nuclear war in Europe, GPS, Ronald Reagan, fiber optic, Microsoft, Apple.

MTV! Atari rocked too!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:52634
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.